Discussions with councillors

swf...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2011, 3:39:44 PM2/2/11
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com
I've been in touch with a couple of councillors.

Mattieu Fleury has been particularly helpful, I got this response:

We have been in correspondence with OC transpo on the subject and we have received answers that say that the data is unreliable and that the servers cannot handle the added demand from the apps.

We have nevertheless urged OC transpo to make the data public with the disclaimer that the data may not be precise.

We hope to see some movement on this in the coming days.

I've pointed him at the discussion here and also pointed out the political issues that were probably behind the pulling of the feed.    He was also ok with me sharing this information here.

Mattieu is meeting OC Transpo on Friday so hopefully we will get some movement soon.

John

Alex Lougheed

Feb 2, 2011, 3:44:30 PM2/2/11
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com

Great to hear. Be sure to follow up.

The citizen called me regarding the letter. Didnt commit to it being published, but looks promising. It should add some urgency to the discussions above.

On Feb 2, 2011 3:39 PM, "swf...@gmail.com" <swf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been in touch with a couple of councillors.
>
> Mattieu Fleury has been particularly helpful*, *I got this response:

Michael Richardson

Feb 2, 2011, 4:40:49 PM2/2/11
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com

swfiua> I've been in touch with a couple of councillors.

swfiua> Mattieu Fleury has been particularly helpful*, *I got this response:

swfiua> We have been in correspondence with OC transpo on the subject and we have
swfiua> received answers that say that the data is unreliable and that the servers
swfiua> cannot handle the added demand from the apps.

I asked several times about the capacity of the servers.

I would understand if they wanted help offloading their servers.

--
] He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life! | firewalls [
] Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON |net architect[

Dave Gallant

Feb 2, 2011, 4:42:23 PM2/2/11
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com
RE:
--
"We have been in correspondence with OC transpo on the subject and we have received answers that say that the data is unreliable and that the servers cannot handle the added demand from the apps."
--

At the meetup this past Sunday we heard the following (pulled from Jonathan's notes):

  • The existing schedule display screens (ex: Billings Bridge) currently use the GPS API.
  • The GPS API is the result of multiple data sources being combined.

So... if the feed is so unreliable why are they already using it on public display screens?

-Dave

swf...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2011, 4:54:39 PM2/2/11
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Michael Richardson <m...@sandelman.ca> wrote:

   swfiua> I've been in touch with a couple of councillors.

   swfiua> Mattieu Fleury has been particularly helpful*, *I got this response:

   swfiua> We have been in correspondence with OC transpo on the subject and we have
   swfiua> received answers that say that the data is unreliable and that the servers
   swfiua> cannot handle the added demand from the apps.

I asked several times about the capacity of the servers.

I would understand if they wanted help offloading their servers.

Since our apps were going through a proxy set up by someone on the list here, it wouldn't be too hard to use that proxy to add caching to take some of the load off their servers.

I saw no evidence of the load on the servers being excessive while the trial was on -- though I think OC Transpo could reasonably anticipate a much bigger load if the system became permanent.

John