was does scheduled really mean?

Michael Richardson

Jan 28, 2013, 7:13:30 PM1/28/13
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com

Assume I am waiting 6 minutes from the beginning of a route.
A bus is scheduled to arrive in 3min, but not on GPS yet.

While some buses start mid-route, not many buses do.

It seems that if a bus run is scheduled to start at time X, and does not
show up to start its run, then even though it's really impossible for it
to arrive in 3min ("according to schedule"), it still remains there.

What happens after time X, when, according to schedule, it should
already have arrived. Does the run simply disappear from the dataset?

I would be interested in how I would know, from the various GPS
trackers, that my bus is stuck in the snow, on it's previous run,
and simply will not be showing up.

It seems that we have a system that works great, when the system
is working, and tells us nothing useful at all on a snow day.

--
] Never tell me the odds! | ipv6 mesh networks [
] Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works | network architect [

Larry Dunkelman

Jan 28, 2013, 7:27:29 PM1/28/13
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes a bus cannot start its next run, as it may be very late on its previous run. Some buses switch from one route to another. Others are put into service at peak times and may not have been on the road earlier. You cannot really predict anything until the bus starts its run.  If you are near the start of a route, the GPS predicted time is not all that reliable on days such as these, as the prediction starts only when the bus is on its route.

Michael Richardson

Jan 28, 2013, 7:49:14 PM1/28/13
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com

Larry> Sometimes a bus cannot start its next run, as it may be very
Larry> late on its previous run. Some buses switch from one route to
Larry> another. Others are put into service at peak times and may
Larry> not have been on the road earlier. You cannot really predict
Larry> anything until the bus starts its run. If you are near the
Larry> start of a route, the GPS predicted time is not all that
Larry> reliable on days such as these, as the prediction starts only
Larry> when the bus is on its route.

If no bus is assigned/arrives to start the route, *WHAT HAPPENS* to the
route info?

If the scheduled time passes, but a bus may still arrive to do that run,
then what happens to the "scheduled time"?

A key reason to use the GPS is to find out *if* a bus is running and on
time, and based upon that information to decide whether to transfer or
not. (or also which stop to walk to)