Meetup Notes

Jonathan Rudenberg

Jan 30, 2011, 11:06:19 PM1/30/11
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com
Here are some notes from the meetup:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XrSV54JBM72dLibI28w1_sadXP9vNeRIUahNgmZQeeg/edit?hl=en&authkey=COGR-K0B

We talked a lot, so let me know if you have any related questions, and
I'll try to answer them.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rudenberg | @titanous

Don Kelly

Jan 31, 2011, 1:01:53 AM1/31/11
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 23:06, Jonathan Rudenberg <jona...@titanous.com> wrote:
> Here are some notes from the meetup:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XrSV54JBM72dLibI28w1_sadXP9vNeRIUahNgmZQeeg/edit?hl=en&authkey=COGR-K0B
>
> We talked a lot, so let me know if you have any related questions, and

The GTFS data isn't accurate? Man, we just can't catch a break, can
we? Knowing this certainly supports the rare anomaly I see in that
data.

Don/

--
karfai [AT] gmail.com
http://www.strangeware.ca

Jonathan Rudenberg

Jan 31, 2011, 9:00:26 AM1/31/11
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com
The GTFS feed is created a few months in advance when they are planning
the bookings. The actual trips that run are scheduled by Operations and
change due to weather, events, detours, bus maintenance, breakdowns,
etc.

When we get access back, there's the possibility for an API endpoint
that just returns the static schedules for the day (maybe the next few
days?).

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rudenberg | @titanous

Don Kelly

Jan 31, 2011, 9:23:18 AM1/31/11
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 09:00, Jonathan Rudenberg <jona...@titanous.com> wrote:
> The GTFS feed is created a few months in advance when they are planning
> the bookings. The actual trips that run are scheduled by Operations and
> change due to weather, events, detours, bus maintenance, breakdowns,
> etc.

Ah, ok. So it's changed according to anomalies and issues. That makes sense.

> When we get access back, there's the possibility for an API endpoint
> that just returns the static schedules for the day (maybe the next few
> days?).

Or just a feed that returns the same information as the page on
octranspo.com that indicates detours and cancelled trips.

matthew

Jan 31, 2011, 5:43:17 PM1/31/11
to Open Data Ottawa / OC Tranpo GPS API
For cancelled trips, I can give you a feed
http://www.wheresmybus.ca/?tab=recent

I can create an RSS feed or whatever else makes sense. Let me know.

This comes from the cancelled trips page, parsed into something more
normalized to make it useful.

Don Kelly

Jan 31, 2011, 8:34:34 PM1/31/11
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com

What's the source of that data? A scrape of the octranspo site?

Don/

matthew

Jan 31, 2011, 11:29:43 PM1/31/11
to Open Data Ottawa / OC Tranpo GPS API
Yes scraped off the site. The site has a lot of "issues" because it
appears to be maintained with minimal automation. It is amazing the
data cleanup I had to write into the parsing script.

Look at the times in this update for an example:

The trip starting at Meadowlands and Fallowfield Station at 7:57 PM is
cancelled from the intersection of Meadowlands and Merivale at 8:20 AM
to the Fallowfield Station at 8:52 PM

Or "Route 2011" with subject "1 Ottawa-Rockcliffe - Cancelled Trip "

Don't get started on the bizarre spellings.

Grrr.

On Jan 31, 8:34 pm, Don Kelly <kar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the source of that data? A scrape of the octranspo site?
>
> Don/

Michael Richardson

Feb 1, 2011, 2:26:13 PM2/1/11
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com

Don> What's the source of that data? A scrape of the octranspo site?

Yes.