OC Transpo Real-Time GPS Data Policy - on track for March 21

scilib

Feb 24, 2012, 7:26:33 AM2/24/12
to Open Data Ottawa / OC Tranpo GPS API
Just to set out how things are proceeding: Councillor Tierney created
a Working Group on Transit Technology

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2011/12/08/ottawa-transit-technology-updates.html

That group will review the proposed Terms of Use and the API.

IT Subcommittee also gets quarterly updates on OC Transpo tech
progress.

Transit Commission has to approve any final policy.
Transit Commission on February 29 will review the overall OC Transpo
business plan

http://ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/docs.pl?Elist=18675&lang=en

For the real-time open data, the key meeting with be Transit
Commission on March 21, where the OC Transpo Real-Time GPS Data Policy
including Application Programming Interface (API) Overview and Terms
of Use will be presented for final approval.

http://ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/docs.pl?Elist=18676&lang=en

If the policy is approved, the plan is to go into an API beta period
starting March 22.

There's not a lot of info that can be provided in advance of approval,
although you can contact Councillor Tierney and Rob Giggey for any
updates that are available.

You should expect that the API will provide information similar to the
previous beta, i.e. time and location for the next few buses coming to
a specific stop. I can tell you it definitely will not be a firehose
of all the GPS positions of all the buses continuously. The
interaction with the city including OC Transpo has been very positive,
and there has been a good analysis of what is and isn't technically
possible at the moment, along with a roadmap to more capabilities in
the future.

Various standards have been discussed, the one that OC Transpo is
committed to is the North American Transit Communications Interface
Profiles (TCIP) standard. I'm not an expert, but the official info
site is http://www.aptatcip.com/

I appreciate everyone is eager but we have to respect the approval
process which is nearing completion.

Michael Richardson

Feb 24, 2012, 11:26:11 AM2/24/12
to open-data-ottawa-...@googlegroups.com

scilib> Transit Commission has to approve any final policy. Transit
scilib> Commission on February 29 will review the overall OC Transpo
scilib> business plan

scilib> http://ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/docs.pl?Elist=18675&lang=en

scilib> For the real-time open data, the key meeting with be Transit
scilib> Commission on March 21, where the OC Transpo Real-Time GPS
scilib> Data Policy including Application Programming Interface
scilib> (API) Overview and Terms of Use will be presented for final
scilib> approval.

I don't see any link here to a document that explains how the data will
be available, or what the terms of use will be. As the terms of use
will likely include conditions by which the data may be redistributed
and/or aggregated, changes to this policy would need to be before
council before they vote.

Further, if the terms of use do not permit redistribution, then it might
be necessary for an application developer to have all of their users hit
OC-transpo servers directly (rather than caching the data). As such,
the service will fail due to load.

Can you point me at drafts of some of these policies?

--
] He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life! | firewalls [
] Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON |net architect[