5-star meta-framework

Graham

May 14, 2012, 11:57:49 AM5/14/12
to open-data-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Reading through Tim's recent position paper on ODE, I tried to work out a slightly more structured approach to the 5-star framework - one which makes it easier to see the progression from one star-level to the next. I've ended up with the below. (I'll blog later this week, but wanted to post here first to see if anyone had any feedback.)

The main progression that Data Engagement seems to be aiming for is democratic participation. Within this, the two main challenges seem to be a) improving and understanding the data itself (the "internal" challenge), and b) applying it to the Democratic Real World (the "external" challenge).

I've broken it down into 3 layers, but had to remove the first 1-star level (demand-driven data) and add in a new 4-star level for it to work. This appeals to me as more people seem happier starting off with adding metadata and explanation than listening to demand ;-)

2-stars and 3-stars below therefore correspond to 3-stars and 4-stars under the existing levels, if that makes sense.

A. Data Release

    The data is the focus. (Or the existing democratic structure encapsulated in the data.)

        - 0 Stars: Data is data, an entropic set of bits and digits which exists in itself but is detached from the DRW.
        - 1 Star: Data enables context, but its own context (which will incorporate "legacy" political processes as part of this). Metadata about the definition of the data and its provenance.

B. Participatory Data

    Data users are the focus.

        - 2 Stars: Data (or data providers) enables conversation. At this level, data becomes attached to contexts outside of its original.
        - 3 Stars: Data (or data providers) enables re-use. At this level, data becomes "useful" at an individual basis where there is no conflict.

C. Democratic Data

    Conflict resolution is the focus (i.e. it becomes part of democratic process).

        - 4 Stars: Data enables participation in political processes. At this level, data becomes "evidence" for resolving conflicting views.
        - 5 Stars: Data becomes part of participation in political processes. At this level, the data itself is also influenced democratically.

For me, this helps answer questions like "why does data need a purpose", and why focusing on the value of data isn't the whole picture either. It also re-situates open data in a societal role, rather than just an economic one, which is essential IMHO (just as the 5-stars of open data situate it in a *technical* role rather than an economic one).

Is this helpful t all, or just more confusing? :)

Best,
Graham