OpenDD Auto discovery

Marcus Povey

Jul 7, 2008, 1:36:50 PM7/7/08
to Open Data Definition
Folks,

We've been quiet for a while, unfortunately Elgg development has kinda
been monopolising all my time.

Anyway, breaking the silence with a new version of the OpenDD spec
containing some notes on auto-discovery.

Go to http://www.opendd.net to read...

As an aside, we've got some exciting thoughts of how OpenDD is going
to be used in Elgg.

Watch this space!

Marcus

marc canter

Jul 7, 2008, 1:41:00 PM7/7/08
to open-data-...@googlegroups.com, Ben Werdmuller
would you tell the bloody rain to stop already!

Chris Messina

Jul 7, 2008, 3:59:50 PM7/7/08
to open-data-...@googlegroups.com
I looked for the discovery stuff but it wasn't apparent... where are the docs for discovery?
--
Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &

Marcus Povey

Jul 8, 2008, 4:44:29 AM7/8/08
to Open Data Definition
> would you tell the bloody rain to stop already!

I could try, but it probably wouldn't do any good....

If you're here long enough you'll develop a fatalistic sense of
resignation that you'll probably only see the sun for three days in
late August... just before the winter storms set in.

But on the plus side, its only a two hour flight to Spain...

Marcus

Marcus Povey

Jul 8, 2008, 4:49:16 AM7/8/08
to Open Data Definition

> I looked for the discovery stuff but it wasn't apparent... where are the
> docs for discovery?

My bad. I had forgotten to update the index.

In a nutshell I am suggesting we use the <link> attribute in a very
similar way to RSS.

My next question: If we do this do we need to mandate that UUIDs must
point to a OpenDD representation? Could we not say "point to an OpenDD
representation OR a (x)html page containing a link attr which in turn
points to the OpenDD view"?

This would provide a way of having both a machine and human readable
view on the data fairly easily.

Marcus

Chris Messina

Jul 8, 2008, 2:34:01 PM7/8/08
to open-data-...@googlegroups.com, xrds-...@googlegroups.com
This sounds an awful lot like oEmbed discovery:

http://oembed.com/draft.htm

Man, the number of link-rels on the top of HTML pages is going to blossom!

marc canter

Jul 8, 2008, 2:44:03 PM7/8/08
to open-data-...@googlegroups.com

let a 1,000 URLs bloom