Adoption tactics?

Chris Messina

Apr 28, 2008, 6:58:06 PM4/28/08
to Open Data Definition
Interesting to see this spec/format come to light. We had a couple
discussions about this on the DiSo list awhile back and will probably
using ATOM+embedded microformats for passing around such activities as
part of our action/life stream plugins.

I was curious though, given the simplicity of this format, what your
approach to getting adoption and traction will be? As with most
technologies, it's less about the tech itself, and more about who
supports and/or implements it.

Did you develop this format/spec with any partners? Besides Elgg, who
will be offering ODD feeds anytime soon?

Chris

Ben Werdmuller

Apr 29, 2008, 5:41:33 AM4/29/08
to Open Data Definition
On Apr 28, 11:58 pm, Chris Messina <chris.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting to see this spec/format come to light. We had a couple
> discussions about this on the DiSo list awhile back and will probably
> using ATOM+embedded microformats for passing around such activities as
> part of our action/life stream plugins.

That's probably a great solution for a lot of people. One of the
problems we have is that we're a platform rather than a finite
service; for example, people can enter custom profile fields. Most of
the existing formats have a harder time representing "football team
supported" or "line manager".

> Did you develop this format/spec with any partners? Besides Elgg, who
> will be offering ODD feeds anytime soon?

The draft spec was built by ourselves, based on our experiences
building communities for the last five years. The important thing now
is to get people involved, I agree - but we figured that was probably
easier with a starting point. As the blog post over on ZDNet says, we
very much want people to come in, join in the conversation, and make
their mark.

One of the things we're doing is heading to the valley to talk to
people face to face about this. We're going to be around next week,
in fact, so if anyone's interested we could arrange an informal
meetup? We've got one arranged on Wednesday - http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/473595/
- and anyone's welcome to stop by, but as that's in part about Elgg,
it might be better to also organise something separately. We're
certainly happy to meet people through the week on top of this.

Ben

Danny Ayers

Apr 29, 2008, 6:16:50 AM4/29/08
to open-data-...@googlegroups.com
On 29/04/2008, Ben Werdmuller <ben...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's probably a great solution for a lot of people.  One of the
problems we have is that we're a platform rather than a finite
service; for example, people can enter custom profile fields.  Most of
the existing formats have a harder time representing "football team
supported" or "line manager".

Just after reading this I was passed a pointer to some profile fields I hadn't expected to see:

        <attribute:Bust rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">40</attribute:Bust>
        <attribute:Height rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">5'5</attribute:Height>
        <attribute:Waist rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">36</attribute:Waist>

From http://www.chickipedia.com/ (not safe for work, if you hadn't guessed!) which uses Semantic MediaWiki.

Getting to the data needs a POST, which is a shame - makes it harder to chain to other services, and they really should have used the FOAF vocab to say these were people...

http://www.chickipedia.com/Special:ExportRDF
http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki

Cheers,
Danny.