Open Data Day 2022 on Saturday 5th March?

Stephen Abbott Pugh

Mar 2, 2021, 2:49:49 AM3/2/21
to Open Data Day
Hi everyone,

Hope that you are all getting excited in the run-up to Open Data Day 2021 this Saturday.

I was wondering if it would be useful to start the conversation early this year about the proposed date for Open Data Day 2022 so that people might be able to share this date with those celebrating on Saturday and put it in diaries for the future.

What does everyone think about holding Open Data Day 2022 on Saturday 5th March 2022?

Please let me know if there are any issues/concerns.

All the best,

Stephen Abbott Pugh

Content development manager

Open Knowledge Foundation - For a fair, free and open future

http://okfn.org | @okfn | Facebook | Blog

augusto....@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2021, 9:13:31 AM3/2/21
to Open Data Day
Hi Stephen,

in Brazil, colliding schedules with carnival is always a concern, as historically fewer people are willing to participate in events during the holiday. I'm not sure how the pandemic would change that dynamic, as this year the festivities have been cancelled due to the high numbers of coronavirus infections. Anyway, in 2022, carnival will be between 28/2 and 2/3, so Saturday 5th March would be fine in that regard.

As a side note, why don't use more the OKFn Discourse (Discuss) forum instead of this Google Group? There is a category specific for the Open Data Day and we can also reply by e-mail.

Best regards,
Augusto Herrmann

Tatiana Pará

Mar 2, 2021, 11:23:24 AM3/2/21
to augusto....@gmail.com, Open Data Day
Hello,
I suggest the date of March 12, as it is a date after the carnival and that

Although the carnival takes place the weekend before, I do not agree with the Augusto on this issue.

Therefore, on the 5th or 12th, I think it is feasible.

Atenciosamente,
Tatiana Pará M. de Freitas
 Professora de Geotecnologias do IFPA
 Fundadora do projeto Meninas da Geo

Thiago Ferauche

Mar 2, 2021, 12:26:36 PM3/2/21
to Tatiana Pará, augusto....@gmail.com, Open Data Day
Hi, here in Santos, São Paulo, Brazil, we are going to make Open Data Day in March 6th, this saturday!

Stephen Abbott Pugh

Mar 2, 2021, 12:30:18 PM3/2/21
to Thiago Ferauche, Tatiana Pará, augusto....@gmail.com, Open Data Day
Sorry for any confusion here: Open Data Day 2021 is still definitely going ahead on Saturday 6th March 🎉🎉

But my email was about whether or not we could set a date for Open Data Day next year in 2022.

Will wait for more thoughts/replies.

Thanks

Stephen Abbott Pugh

Content development manager

Email: stephen.a...@okfn.org

Twitter: @Stephen_Abbott

Skype: stephendabbott

Open Knowledge Foundation - For a fair, free and open future

http://okfn.org | @okfn | Facebook | Blog

Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, 86 - 90 Paul Street, London, EC2A 4NE.

Gerry Tychon

Mar 2, 2021, 6:30:54 PM3/2/21
to augusto....@gmail.com, Open Data Day
Yes, let us make Open Data Day for 2022 to be Saturday 5th March 2022.

It took much effort and compromise to settle on the first Saturday of March. Hopefully by then life will be back to something like normal. Best to all.

Gerry Tychon

stella mutuku

Mar 3, 2021, 12:32:49 AM3/3/21
to Open Data Day
Yes, this is a good idea, Stephen.
It would be an opportunity for also the implementing agencies to start conversations with other local organizations to ensure that next year ODD has a wider audience within the individual countries. We have our Zoom Webinar in Kenya on Friday 5th. So we could communicate this information to our participants. If the day is agreed by then.

Best

NBANI FRIDAY

Mar 3, 2021, 11:06:08 AM3/3/21
to Stephen Abbott Pugh, Open Data Day
Dear Stephen,

Thanks so much for your mail however my project wasn't approved and I don't have fund to organize on my own. However, let me know if there is any activity of the Open Data Day coming up in Rivers State, Nigeria. I'd like to join.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Adorbu Baridakara.

Masahiko SHOJI

Mar 3, 2021, 6:58:45 PM3/3/21
to Stephen Abbott Pugh, Open Data Day
Hi, everyone.

Saturday 5th March 2022 will be OK for Japanese organizers.

In fact, earlier will be welcomed because March is busy in Japan due
to the fiscal year end. But, early in March is not bad, and we are
used to having Open Data Day on the first Saturday in March.

On this Saturday, as a promoter and supporter of Open Data Day in
Japan, I would like to introduce the date of the next Open Data Day.

Thank you,

Masa Shoji
Open Knowledge Japan

Foosteér Initiative

Mar 6, 2021, 8:32:57 AM3/6/21
to Stephen Abbott Pugh, open-d...@googlegroups.com
Hurray! It's Open Data Day!

#OpenDataDay is an annual celebration of open data all over the world taking place on Saturday 6th March 2021.

Aligned with the global and Nigeria's sustainable development goal of equal development, Foosteer Initiative will host a virtual event in commemoration of this year's open Data day in Nigeria.

This year's event aims to enrich the public with the knowledge and awareness of the potential use of open Data and ICT tools and how it is used for promoting public participation for effective public service delivery.

You can join our conversation to on WhatsApp by 8:00 GMT+1. Below is the link to the conversation. See you then.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021, 8:49 AM Stephen Abbott Pugh <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
TextToPhotos_1615036212867.png

Stephen Abbott Pugh

Jun 1, 2021, 5:39:35 AM6/1/21
to Open Data Day
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and feedback on the proposed date for Open Data Day 2022.

Sounds like Saturday 5th March 2022 is a good date all round as long as people in Brazil will have recovered from Carnival by then(!).

The team at Open Knowledge Foundation will now update the Open Data Day website and publish a blogpost sharing the date (which will be shared on this mailing list soon).

Sadly I will be leaving Open Knowledge Foundation at the end of this week to take up a new position but my colleague James Hamilton will be carrying on the good work on planning the next Open Data Day. Please email opend...@okfn.org to get in touch with him.

Mark your calendars and spread the word! #OpenDataDay #ODD2022

Stephen Abbott Pugh

Open Knowledge Foundation - For a fair, free and open future
http://okfn.org | @okfn | Facebook | Blog

Kate Wing

Jun 4, 2021, 2:57:16 PM6/4/21
to Open Data Day
Hello all - I'm new to Open Data Day but have followed the work for a few years. I wanted to note that the week before Open Data Day 2022 - Feb 27 through Mar 4 - is the big global ocean science meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. Proposal submissions have closed for that event but they have specifically asked for innovative session formats and unusual partnerships across government, academic, civil society organizations, and local communities. I have a proposal in for review and it could be a way to set up an ocean-themed open data event on the 5th. If you're working on anything ocean (which includes a lot of climate issues and coastal community issues) please reach out and I'd be happy to start organizing.

Thanks, Kate

James Hamilton

Jun 8, 2021, 3:49:29 AM6/8/21
to Open Data Day
Hi Kate

Many thanks for the message. I have emailed you to discuss options.

If anyone else has any ideas for tracks for Open Data Day 2022 - please do get in touch.

Last year we had

1) Environmental Data
2) Tracking Public Money Flows
3) Open Mapping
4) Data for Equal Development

We are open to all options for Open Data Day 2022.

Many thanks!
James

NBANI FRIDAY

Jun 8, 2021, 7:41:04 AM6/8/21
to James Hamilton, Open Data Day
Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for your mail however Lekeh Development Foundation LEDEF Nigeria is interested in the partnership because we are working on Climate Justice and planning to launch a campaign title zero plastic ocean therefore I think it will be good to connect with you and strategic planning together.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers:
Comr. Nbani Friday Barilule.
Climate Activist,
Executive Director, Lekeh Development Foundation LEDEF Nigeria.