CS community city ambassador elections on January 19th 2008 in Antwerp and ...

Thomas Goorden

Nov 18, 2007, 12:30:36 PM11/18/07
to Open Couchsurfing
Hello everyone,

I thought it would be nice to let you guys know we're organizing elections for the unofficial community elected CS ambassador in Antwerp on January the 19th.   It's a local experiment, but if someone felt like organizing the same thing somewhere else, here are some details of how we're going about it:
  • We're using the "Schulze method" which is a type of Condorcet voting (followed by the sound of clicking to go to Wikipedia...).
  • Anybody from the district Antwerp can participate as a candidate or voter, but the "borders" are pretty soft. An introduction or program by the candidate on the local CS group is encouraged. Travellers are excluded from the voting obviously, but still invited to the party.
  • One can leave a vote with the election commity (if you're unable to make it to the physical voting booth), they will anonymize the vote if requested.
  • The voting commity (including myself) doesn't contain candidates.

OCS related goals:
  • To create awareness of the fact that "official" CS ambassadors are in fact not representative of the community.
  • To have a dependable and well-known CS city ambassador.

It would be nice if some of you can organize the same thing in other CS cities. If it works well, the next "target" would obviously be country ambassadorship. If you can do it on the same day, that would be even better.

How's that for positive action? ;-)

Have a nice Sunday,
Thomas

PS: We haven't officially announced it yet on the Antwerp group, so I'd prefer it if we kept any blogging about it and such until - say- Tuesday.
PPS: It "accidentally" coincides with a BeVolunteer conference in Antwerp that weekend, which will make it into a pretty nice hospitality party... Not really accidental of course.

m_i_d_s_c_h

Nov 18, 2007, 5:36:33 PM11/18/07
to open-cou...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great, Thomas! And I'll promise to report the event/news to the local crowd here, I guess it won't make it to the official CSnews, so it's better to spread the word. I love the idea and i'll definetly follow the news from there. Keep us updated Thomas (I know you will ;)

Sidenote 1: A while ago the Hamburg group decided to become an ambassador free city by choice. That's a long tradition, in history the free city of Hamburg never accepted a bishop (from the pope) or a duke (from the king) - so why accept an ambassador from the LC? I for myself hope it will stay this way in Hamburg, but  If the topic will come up again, a look to the Antwerp model is on the list.

Sidenote 2: A global amb told me, the inner circle of CS stopped an city amb from doing a poll about his ambassadorship in the local group.

Cheers to Antwerp,
midsch

________________________________
just keep in mind: google is NOT good

Thomas Goorden

Nov 18, 2007, 6:39:58 PM11/18/07

On 18 Nov 2007, at 23:36, m_i_d_s_c_h wrote:

> Sounds great, Thomas! And I'll promise to report the event/news to
> the local crowd here, I guess it won't make it to the official
> CSnews, so it's better to spread the word. I love the idea and i'll
> definetly follow the news from there. Keep us updated Thomas (I know
> you will ;)
>
> Sidenote 1: A while ago the Hamburg group decided to become an
> ambassador free city by choice. That's a long tradition, in history
> the free city of Hamburg never accepted a bishop (from the pope) or
> a duke (from the king) - so why accept an ambassador from the LC? I
> for myself hope it will stay this way in Hamburg, but If the topic
> will come up again, a look to the Antwerp model is on the list.

I didn't know there was such a long history behind your actions. Cool!

> Sidenote 2: A global amb told me, the inner circle of CS stopped an
> city amb from doing a poll about his ambassadorship in the local
> group.

Well, we're not asking for permission, are we? (As a side note, the
technical defense here is we're electing a "community elected"
ambassador and aren't saying anything about the "official" ones.)

> Cheers to Antwerp,
> midsch

Cheers to Hamburg the ambassador-free city!
Thomas