Assessment of academic program assessment - a rubric

Nils Peterson

Oct 9, 2010, 7:10:37 AM10/9/10
to p2pu-assessment
In Palo Alto, during the Speed Dating session, I got a chance to talk
to some of you about WSU's work on assessing program-level learning
outcomes assessment. Several expressed interest in the rubric.

I think this is important to our conversations about P2PU because it
seems to me that the School of Webcraft, and any future School, would
benefit from ways of talking about program coherence. We think our
rubric helps programs attend to coherence as part of their strategy to
improving the student learning outcomes.

To share the rubric, I'd like to ask young try using it in a real
task--rating a program. It may that you a little bit to get oriented,
this is a meta-level view. We ask programs to write a report on how
they assess student learning, and then we assess that effort.

The vehicle for you to rate the program is our current implementation
of 'harvesting' which I also shared with some of you. The URL goes to
a survey with instructions and links to other resources, including the
program's report. We'd prefer to be able to embed the survey along
side the report using a FireFox extension, like Google SideWiki, but
for now this is what we have.

I expect the task will take you an hour to complete, reading the
report and orienting to the rubric. The survey also asks for your
feedback on the rubric itself (part of what we believe in continuous
improvement). You can also comment about it here.

Http://skylight.Wsu.edu/s/38ab5ac0-2663-4d0f-8493-73a9ea0b1076.srv

Thanks in advance