Fwd: Protein Folding

Philipp Schmidt

Sep 25, 2010, 12:40:20 AM9/25/10
to open-assessment
Sharing more widely. P

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gibson <david....@globalchallengeaward.org>
Date: 21 September 2010 10:13:11 UTC+9
Subject: Fwd: Protein Folding
To: Philipp Schmidt <phi.s...@gmail.com>

To share with people at P2PU - its relevant to the discussion I had
with Stian in the last session today.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jarlath O\\\\\\'Neil-Dunne" <Jarlath.O...@UVM.EDU>
Date: September 20, 2010 8:42:19 PM EDT
To: C...@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Protein Folding

Attached is the article I mentioned in the Lockheed Martin meeting
today. By harnessing the power of citizen scientists, via an online
game, the authors were able to make some rather substantial
breakthroughs in predicting protein structure. This article supports
the point Jeff Hawkins made in his book "On Intelligence," that
computing power alone will not solve some of the most pressing
challenges. A nice TED talk related to this topic is the "Cognitive
Surplus" one given by Clay Shirky.
http://www.ted.com/talks/clay_shirky_how_cognitive_surplus_will_change_the_world.html
Best, Jarlath

--------