Needing specificity for store locations associated with varying business processes

Michael Richards

Nov 25, 2020, 3:30:32 PM11/25/20
to ArchiMate
Using the diagram below for reference (names purposely removed), I've got
one of our subsidiaries modeled out with the high level HQ, Plants, and Stores as actors that are then aggregated to various locations.  Normally the nesting level of the location components are based on City -> State -> Country.

However, there's a need to model various business processes that occur only at specific stores and show those relationships accordingly.  Up to now, I haven't introduced store specificity into my model.  Since I now need to, the question I have is how to best structure/model that.  Would anyone recommend that I do one of the following or something else:

Opt 1) Create locations at the city level that includes the store name like 'Store #1701 - New York Ciy', 'Store #1705 - New York City' and then those would be nested within the state of NY.

Opt 2) Create locations based on Store ID -> City -> State -> Country (basically add a lower level location for specific address)

Opt 3) Try to model using layered viewpoint and create facilities for each store that are aggregated to a location and build up from there?

Opt 4) Other...

Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks,

Michael

Sample Org and Locations Diagram.png

Thierry Mayrand

Nov 25, 2020, 4:59:56 PM11/25/20
to Michael Richards, ArchiMate
Hello,

You mention business processes that only occur at specific stores. Could it be that only stores with a given role can be assigned to the given process?

TM

Michael Richards

Nov 25, 2020, 5:21:13 PM11/25/20
to ArchiMate
I thought that too but as I inquired more about the processes, I was told that wouldn't be the case.  The stores all have the same purpose/type; it's actually management at the stores that have introduced varying business processes that I need to model to show.

Michael Richards

Nov 25, 2020, 5:29:23 PM11/25/20
to ArchiMate
In further discussion with management, I think there is a growing need for me to break out the stores individually to allow better identification for the landscape moving forward for various business/application/technology viewpoints.  I know I gave the specific example above but going beyond that example, any suggestions/best practice for modelling what will be a couple of hundred specific stores?  Use a location for each or a facility component for each and then aggregate (like opt 3 above)?

Thanks,

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ArchiMate" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/open-archimate-forum/92ee3f4a-ed91-46ce-b143-d1a03f409759n%40googlegroups.com.