Function assignment question

rick....@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2020, 6:54:07 AM10/6/20
to ArchiMate
Hey all,

I have an application component A which is served by 3 others B, C and D.

I have a function "calculating X" which Component A is assigned to.

Component A uses the 3 components its served by to calculate X. Component A is really just a thin proxy. So... should B, C and D be assigned to the function also?

Thanks as always!

Mastering ArchiMate

Oct 6, 2020, 7:35:09 AM10/6/20
to rick....@gmail.com, ArchiMate
In my opinion:

Assignment means “who performs the behaviour”. If you assign all 4 AC’s to the ‘calculate’  behaviour, you have modelled some sort of implicit collaboration. You could even use an AND Junction to make it more explicit.

For me, it depends on how B, C and D contribute. If these are separately running processes providing a service, say a RESTful service, I would use the Serving relations.  But I would model B, C, D as Services, that serve the calculation function. Using the Assignment creates unnecessary abstraction in your model, I think.

Notye: if you let the function be served by Application Components, it is correct, but it is ugly IMO, because you mix ’separation of active and behaviour’ with ’non-separation’. There are many patterns possible, but I would use the same pattern for A that I also use for B, C, and D.

PS. All of this could have been stated more clearly but this wa sa quickie.

Thanks as always!