Utilizing Viewpoints in Executive Meetings

Michael Richards

Oct 29, 2020, 1:35:28 PM10/29/20
to ArchiMate
Hello Folks,

When you review EA models with executives how do you taylor views of Application/Technical diagrams for their consumption when at times the views don't follow archimate.  A good example is tied to a previous post I had which I asked about modelling a 'realization' from an application component to artifact.  In my current real world scenario, I have an exec (whom has a little understanding of archimate element icons) that wanted me to use the artifact symbol to show a model of applications creating files on the network.  Normally to see that youl would have the component access a data object (create) and then a realization from an artifact (representing) the file to the data object.  Howeever, he doesn't want to see the data object. He just wants the components icons with artifact icons for ease of viewing and understanding.

How have any of you handled situations like that?

Thanks,

Mastering ArchiMate

Oct 29, 2020, 1:56:41 PM10/29/20
to Michael Richards, ArchiMate
In ArchiMate 3.1 (not in 3.0.1) you can let the Application Component Access an Artifact directly (it is a derived relation that you can use).

Thanks,

Michael Richards

Oct 29, 2020, 2:19:13 PM10/29/20
to ArchiMate
Thanks G. In general, have you ever had a situation where an exec wants a viewpoint that is not directly available in Archimate?  I don't like using non-model tools (like Visio).  The current one our compay uses is Abacus and it allows me to create relations to any element that I want in Archimate even if its not defined in archimate but then I'm not compliant with Archimate standards.  In general, what is the approach you've taken in the past if you've encounted this?

Thanks,

Mastering ArchiMate

Oct 30, 2020, 3:49:36 AM10/30/20
to Michael Richards, ArchiMate
In my experience with solution architectures, when talking to execs, it is more efficient to create ad hoc visio diagrams than trying to tweak ArchiMate models to be intuitive for execs. Talking with execs doesn’t happen every day, so having bespoke communication is not a problem.

Breaking the model by going a sort of ArchiMate-in-name-only route is the worst of both worlds. It damages your model (what if you ever want to move from one tool to another?). It also ‘dumb-down’ your modelling tot what doesn’t confuse the average exec.

For me, ArchiMate is a language for Architects. And a good model can be used for all kinds of analysis and reporting (such as in reporting for regulators). During this week’s EAC Europe 2020, a colleague of mine reported on APG AM’s Process Model that is done in ArchiMate (advantages and drawbacks with regard to BPMN) in a single model with the architecture model as well (>100,000 elements and relations, might at this time even be around 150,000). The result is a very functional model where you can link risks, controls, etc. etc..

And if Abacus allows you to create any relation between elements, it is in my view not ArchiMate compliant (neither is Sparx btw). It is a model, so in that sense it is better than Visio alone (but there is a solution that use Visio, but has ArchiMate as a model in the background, iServer from Orbus so that might enable you to use ArchiMate and non-ArchiMate more integrated — I don’t know haven’t worked with it). Abacus, as I recall, also is non-compliant in that it is not possible for a single element to be part of two different nested Aggregations (as Abacus uses nesting for additional model structure in the tool).

Robert Chevallier

Nov 4, 2020, 2:30:11 PM11/4/20
to ArchiMate
Hi Gerben

Could you precise by "Sparx is not compliant" ?

Thanks

Mastering ArchiMate

Nov 4, 2020, 5:04:03 PM11/4/20
to Robert Chevallier, ArchiMate
Sparx is a UML modelling tool with a config that supports ArchiMate icons and relation-forms. But it won’t stop you making non-allowed relations for instance, in that sense it is not better than Visio or Powerpoint. Last time I looked, about a year ago.

I have given a few ArchiMate trainings, the worst models created from homework questions came from Sparx.

Robert Chevallier

Nov 5, 2020, 7:54:56 AM11/5/20
to ArchiMate
Thanks. I thought products to be able to claim to have Archimate support had to be certified, and so be compliant with the standard.
But I see indeed that Sparx is not certified: https://certification.opengroup.org/register/archimate-tool

Phil Beauvoir

Nov 5, 2020, 8:12:44 AM11/5/20
to ArchiMate
In theory, yes.

Archi is not certified. I'd rather it was compliant with the ArchiMate standard than claim to be "certified"  :-)