Moving from Sparx EA

Tomek Kazimierski

Jul 13, 2020, 1:06:09 PM7/13/20
to ArchiMate
Hi!
I am trying to move my models from Sparx EA to Archi. Import process of the models using Archimate format was surprisingly smooth, quick and easy. Non Archimte elements were lost as expected but most of the rest looks quite ok.

There are a lot of things made very convenient and better then in EA especially GIT integration and ability to run natively on Mac

... but I really miss some functions or I don't know how to use Archie properly:
  1. Ability to change element type. For example I have Application Service where Business Service should be used. I need to change the type without removing old element and create new one moving all relations and descriptions.
  2. Publish element description by the note relation. In Sparx EA you can create note related to the of the elements of your diagram and change content of the note to description from linked element rather than copying description to the note itself.
  3. Ability to export part of the model to the XML file to move it between models.
  4. Have a shortcut to go from diagram to element in tree and from the element in tree to the element on diagram. I know it is possible using context manu and Analysis tab but I looking for something quicker
  5. When I put element to the diagram which has some relations to the elements already existing on the diagram, all the relations are shown when I would prefer in most cases to show only some of them instead.
  6. Generally when there are many relations between to elements which are shown automatically they are put to the single area very difficult to move and arrange
  7. Any ideas how to compensate lack of BPMN notation in Archimate? Any experience with integration some third party tools?
If you have some other experience with such migration I would appeciate hints.

BR,
Tomek

Pascal Dussart

Jul 13, 2020, 2:24:45 PM7/13/20
to ArchiMate
Hey Tomek,

But since you're here:

Regarding #1: agreed, that would be a great plus for the tool. Not sure if it's easy to implement, since it's not a feature yet after all these years.
Regarding #7: there is no such thing as "Archimate missing BPMN-capabilities". Archimate is at another abstraction level than BPMN. If you need to model high-level overviews of , for example, how business processes and applications are related to each other, you might want to consider Archimate. If you want to model business processes in all their detail and glory: BPMN is probably your weapon of choice.

Hope this helps

--
Met vriendelijke groeten  - Best regards

Pascal Dussart

Steven Mileham

Jul 14, 2020, 7:50:15 AM7/14/20
to ArchiMate
Hey Tomek,

  You might want to check out jArchi, the Archi scripting language, it has scripts to change the type of a component, as well as some other import/export scripts too.

  To "qualify" for the jArchi plugin you have to sign up to the Archi Patreon, but seeing as you're enjoying using Archi for "professional" use now, I'd encourage you to support the development through that channel anyways!

Cheers

Steve