Triggering - Order of steps

Eduardo Sequinel

Nov 10, 2020, 7:59:41 AM11/10/20
to ArchiMate
Hi,

Is the view below correct?
When I presented a similar view to a technical stakeholder, he said he understood that the two calls are sent at the same time, despite the numbers and description indicating the sequence of steps.
After I explained to him he got it, but still thinks it is a bit misleading. So, the question is:
Is this ok, or should I do something to improve it?

I think I could add two child processes inside "Password reset" and have a triggering between them to clarify it, but this means additional elements, space, and complexity (the real view has much more content).
What do you think is a good balance between accuracy and simplicity for views in this case?

* The view is just illustrative and does not contain any real-world info, actually.

Untitled.png

Thank you

Mastering ArchiMate

Nov 10, 2020, 8:15:39 AM11/10/20
to Eduardo Sequinel, ArchiMate
You can split your Password reset process in multiple parts. So, have a ‘ChangePassword’ subprocess and a ’SendEmail’ subprocess and have the first one trigger the second. The existing Triggers could then be replaced by flows.

Expanded with the content of the flows:

or

Maybe you can use Junctions in a complex way to model exact order. Frankly, this is hard in BPMN also (requires some complex use of Gateways, I think)

A Trigger in a model only tells you that a Trigger is sent, not when.

<Untitled.png>

Thank you

DISCLAIMER

This email is confidential and subject to important disclaimers and conditions in relation to monitoring, viruses, confidentiality and legal privilege full details of which can be viewed on our Email Policy at the following link: http://www.next.co.uk/Policy/EmailPolicyStatement.asp

Next Holdings Ltd registered in England 35161.  Registered Office Desford Road Enderby Leicester LE19 4AT.  Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

<Untitled.png>

Thierry Mayrand

Nov 10, 2020, 9:13:57 AM11/10/20
to Eduardo Sequinel, ArchiMate
If you're worried about application behavior, how about something like this:

image.png

Thierry