Application Interfaces and Protocol designation

Michael Richards

Oct 28, 2020, 4:07:36 PM10/28/20
to ArchiMate
Hello All,

I've got a question about labeling protocols...what mechanism exists to show the protocols for the communication that occurs between applications or, in the case below interfaces.  Interface 2 serves Interface 1.  Currently I'm just changing the name of the serving relationship to be the protocol used but I don't like; it doesn't feel right.  Communication/network paths exists for Technology diagrams but not for application diagrams.

I appreciate any suggestions/feedback.

Thanks

Application Int Sample.png

theparker...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2020, 4:38:30 AM10/29/20
to ArchiMate
I have had useful success with just having one Application Interface, with a composition to the "owning" Application Component. To show uses of the Application Interface, I have a dataflow between Application/Business Functions and the Application Interface.

This Application Interface is realized by a Technology Interface with a name that identifies the protocol (SMB, SFTP, HTTPS etc). This separate Tech Interface can be used to indicate what is providing the TCP server side (in the TCP "client(=initiator) -> server(=listener)" sense). The TCP server can be different from the Application Component, and dataflow can be different from the initiator->listener direction.

cheers

Mastering ArchiMate

Oct 29, 2020, 6:14:50 AM10/29/20
to Michael Richards, ArchiMate
I’m not going to react on the question itself, but the image

shows something weird: Realisation from Applcation Component to some sort of interface. It is technically possible through a derivation, but normally an Interface is owned (Composition) by the component of which it is an interface.

<Application Int Sample.png>

<Application Int Sample.png>

Michael Richards

Oct 29, 2020, 8:53:41 AM10/29/20
to ArchiMate
Are you able to do a simple illustration to help me visualize?

Thanks,

Michael Richards

Oct 29, 2020, 8:56:52 AM10/29/20
to ArchiMate
Hi G,

With archimate 3.1, I thought is was acceptable to have a component realize an interface.  Is there a rule/guideline to choosing composition over realization for interfaces that you recommend or is it more a matter of preference.  I've only been modelling with 3.1 so I don't have the background with any prior versions.

Thanks,

Mastering ArchiMate

Oct 29, 2020, 9:23:22 AM10/29/20
to Michael Richards, ArchiMate
You can download the Mastering ArchiMate free syntax excerpt that explains the 3.0.1 syntax via the book’s home page (see link in signature)

It has nothing to do with prior versions, it is just normally not the right relation to use.

In a language you can say the same in many ways (so which pattern do you use and why) .ArchiMate is a grammar more than a language. And you can create grammatically correct phrases that have a different meaning t=but are still correct. E.g. “The shovel uses the gardener”. Grammatically correct, but probably not what you want.

Michael Richards

Oct 29, 2020, 1:30:09 PM10/29/20
to ArchiMate
Hi Gerben,

I've purhased the PDF form of the book.  Can you give me the section in the book you are referring to?  I'm relatively new to doing Archimate and I'm finding contradictory information on some of the relations/viewpoints and trying to understand how best to approach. For example both an instructor I had an an online reference called Archimate Cookbook (By Eero Hosiaisluoma) of which I was directed to state that the structural relationship of composition for an interface is in guidelines with 2.1  However, with 3.X, the realization relationship from a compoent to an iterface is in guidelines with respect to 3.X.  That's why I was asking the question if it was really more of a preference or a 'rule' per se as I want to make sure that I'm doing models that are in-line with Archimate.

Thanks again very much for your responses Gerben.  I do find them helpful...

Michael

I appreciate your feedback on this.

Mastering ArchiMate

Oct 29, 2020, 1:48:06 PM10/29/20
to Michael Richards, ArchiMate
Section 7, where the actual explanation of the syntax starts and then 7.1 when the basic pattern is introduced. There you see an Application Component that Composes its Application Interface.

But if you are new, it is best to read the entire first part of the book, the Basics thoroughly. It is still valid., except for the stuff that has to do with derivations (including the pitfalls) and the omission of the Value Stream element.

Page 40 top right has some useful info as well.

This is ArchiMate 3.1 compliant

ArchiMate-sheets-en-20200531.pdf

Steven Mileham

Oct 30, 2020, 4:56:46 AM10/30/20
to ArchiMate
Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but is this the kind of thing you're after?

Two applications, realising a Service layer, exposed over a number of interfaces, and modelling the "client" interface used to interact with the "server" interface?

Interface Flow.png

theparker...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2020, 3:59:44 AM11/1/20
to ArchiMate
Hi Michael
Something like this?
Default View.png

Robert

Michael Richards

Nov 3, 2020, 7:52:45 AM11/3/20
to ArchiMate
Hi Robert,

Thanks for that diagram.  That in conjunction with Gerben's info helped.

Sincerely,

Michael