Relationship to own object

chala...@gmail.com

May 30, 2018, 8:08:04 PM5/30/18
to ArchiMate
Hi All,

Question, in Archimate, is it okay to have relationship to own object. For example, I would like to have a triggering relationship to a data object.

Thanks.

Mastering ArchiMate

May 31, 2018, 7:12:19 AM5/31/18
to chala...@gmail.com, ArchiMate
1. About a relation ship from an object to itself in general: Technically it is fine (if the relation is allowed of course). It has a limited use though and it depends a bit on the relation. E.g. let a Business Function Trigger itself is obviously fine, but have a Business Function Composite itself doesn’t make sense in any model, only in the metamodel.
2. You cannot have a triggering relation that ends up in a Data Object. A Data Object is a passive element and it cannot be Triggered. Only behaviour or active elements (which are capable of behaviour) can be Triggered. Sparx allows it probably, but Sparx doesn’t really support ArchiMate much more than Visio does.

chala...@gmail.com

May 31, 2018, 5:41:07 PM5/31/18
to ArchiMate
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I wasn’t quite if this was possible in Archimate.