Application Component realizing Artifact

Michael Richards

Oct 24, 2020, 1:57:10 AM10/24/20
to ArchiMate
I'd like to get some feedback/thoughts on modelling an application component (A) that generates an XML file.  That XML file is then accessed by application component (B).

There is no realization relationship in Archimate (using 3.1) that exists between component and artifact.  The only relation I can find is Component A that that would access Data Object A which in turn be realized from the Artifact.  Then Application B could access the artifact.

Has anyone created a relation between application component and artificate or have another approach to recommend.  There are a lot of artifacts to model that I'd like to just show as realizations from the application components rather than cluttering the diagram with both data objects and artifacts.

I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you may offer.

Thanks,

Mastering ArchiMate

Oct 24, 2020, 6:33:41 AM10/24/20
to Michael Richards, ArchiMate

On 24 Oct 2020, at 07:57, Michael Richards <free...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd like to get some feedback/thoughts on modelling an application component (A) that generates an XML file.  That XML file is then accessed by application component (B).

There is no realization relationship in Archimate (using 3.1) that exists between component and artifact.

The Realisation relation is not meant for ‘creating stuff’, even if in natural language ‘realising’ has that meaning. It is the Access relation that is for that purpose.

You can download the free syntax section of Mastering ArchiMate which explains the entire syntax including a bit of extended discussion on Realisation.

The only relation I can find is Component A that that would access Data Object A which in turn be realized from the Artifact.  Then Application B could access the artifact.

Correct. Access can be ‘write access’ and that includes creation and even deletion.

Artifact Realises Data Object means ‘identity abstraction’. It is a different representation in the model of a single thing in reality.

Has anyone created a relation between application component and artificate or have another approach to recommend.  There are a lot of artifacts to model that I'd like to just show as realizations from the application components rather than cluttering the diagram with both data objects and artifacts.

I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you may offer.

Use Access.

Michael Richards

Oct 24, 2020, 1:30:46 PM10/24/20
to ArchiMate
Hi G,  Thanks for the response.  I recently just purchased the Mastering Archimate v3 and am working on going through that.  Two quick questions:
  • For the audience that will be receiving this, it's important that they understand which applications are creating the files and which ones are consuming.  Is  your suggestion to not use the artifact in the model diagrams or to do: Component A accessing Data Object A that has a realization relation source of Artifact A (XML File) and then have Component B access the artifact?
  • Can you briefly expand on what you mean by identity abstraction of an artifact realized by a Data Object?

Thanks,

Mastering ArchiMate

Oct 24, 2020, 6:15:40 PM10/24/20

On 24 Oct 2020, at 19:30, Michael Richards <free...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi G,  Thanks for the response.  I recently just purchased the Mastering Archimate v3 and am working on going through that.  Two quick questions:
  • For the audience that will be receiving this, it's important that they understand which applications are creating the files and which ones are consuming.  Is  your suggestion to not use the artifact in the model diagrams or to do: Component A accessing Data Object A that has a realization relation source of Artifact A (XML File) and then have Component B access the artifact?

This is hard to understasnd without a diagram, but I think not. You could use: A Accesses (write) the Artifact and B Accesses (read) the Artifact. That simple. You might also use a Data Object instead of an artefact, though with an Artifact you can actually Assign it to some storage location.

I tend to prefer Flow these days. A Flow from A to B with the XML Artifact Assoociated with it as payload.

  • Can you briefly expand on what you mean by identity abstraction of an artifact realized by a Data Object?

Section 7.17 (the part that refers to view 10 on page 23) and then 36.3 of the book which introduces the analysis that that type of abstraction could be labeled ‘identity’ abstraction.

Thanks,