starting

Jason

Dec 5, 2011, 11:40:34 PM12/5/11
to Open and Networked PhDs
Hello-
I've been playing with the idea of an UnPhd (here called a NoPhd) for
awhile. Started a few times but then lost energy due to moving,
poverty etc.

I'd love some ideas on organization, getting started etc. Also how
does one use this group for peer review/community review etc?

Jason

Leigh Blackall

Dec 6, 2011, 12:08:17 AM12/6/11
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

It's early days yet, but if we can grow critical mass in this and related communications channels (at least around our fields of research), then there is our peer review.

Until then, I'd suggest going ahead and starting, documenting every step, in a continuous effort to connect with others, and consider using formal or traditional channels of peer review, such as submitting papers to academic journals that offer review.

Regards
Leigh

Jason

Dec 6, 2011, 6:36:00 PM12/6/11
to Open and Networked PhDs
Thanks Leigh, we have corresponded before. I started to organize
myself ages ago and lost energy as I ahd to worry about life/poverty.
But I figure one of my key influences - Eric Hoffer was a philisopher
and a longshoreman. Maybe I should follow his path and just work on
the research and see what happens. Looking forward to starting this
project. Have you looked at the UnCollege movement at all? Might be
some overlap in ideas. Will this group have the power to award
'Hon.D' (honorary doctorates) to its members? I know in the US anyway
any organization technically has this power.

Jason

On Dec 5, 9:08 pm, Leigh Blackall <leighblack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy
>
> It's early days yet, but if we can grow critical mass in this and related
> communications channels (at least around our fields of research), then
> there is our peer review.
>
> Until then, I'd suggest going ahead and starting, documenting every step,
> in a continuous effort to connect with others, and consider using formal or
> traditional channels of peer review, such as submitting papers to academic
> journals that offer review.
>
> Regards
> Leigh
>

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Jason <jasond...@mac.com> wrote:
> > Hello-
> > I've been playing with the idea of an UnPhd (here called a NoPhd) for
> > awhile. Started a few times but then lost energy due to moving,
> > poverty etc.
>
> > I'd love some ideas on organization, getting started etc. Also how
> > does one use this group for peer review/community review etc?
>
> > Jason
>
> --
> --

> Leigh Blackall <http://about.me/leighblackall>
> +61(0)404561009

Leigh Blackall

Dec 6, 2011, 6:50:45 PM12/6/11
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Jason, I didn't recall our prior correspondence.

Eric Hoffer, longshoreman and the unCollege movement are new terms to me, I'll look them up.

Hon.D is indeed something I think would be great to develop a capability in here, but we have a ways to go in building up this community. In my experience, we need to recruit at least 200 participants before it has enough energy in it to pull things off. Connecting it to Wikiversity is a strategic positioning that may help. Both spaces are relatively blank canvases open to anyone willing to invest the time and energy to get things rolling.

Have you looked into the PhD by Publication? I hear it is not a common pathway in some other countries, but I think it is a perfect approach for informal, independent and emerging researchers seeking recognition. It could be that the By Publication and the Hon.D are a good combination. I would very much like to see the Creative PhD thrown in for good measure.

The iterative approach in the By Publication is perhaps the best way for people like us, as we stand to gain feedback and review as we progress, rather than at the end of a massive thesis. The Creative PhD (A body of creative works with a mini thesis) might also be a good thing to include in our mix, capturing creative and innovative individuals, and putting possibly engaging works out there that are not just texts.

As I meet with formal institutions that can accredit a PhD, I take every opportunity to explain the OpenPhD or NOPhD to them, in the hope that I'll find one ready to invest the energy needed in making this approach work formally as well. If we in this informal network develop something that is rigorous and noteworthy, then gaining such a partner may turn out to be easier in the future, if it is at-all needed!

Finally, check out Wikinews for an example of an open and networked platform with a rigorous review process. Rigorous enough that Google indexes it as a formal news site.

Regards
Leigh

Peter

Dec 6, 2011, 6:56:04 PM12/6/11
to Open and Networked PhDs
Jason,

Great to have another join our small band of merry life long learners.
I believe the idea of the credential will become increasingly
irrelevant. The idea of badges seems to be gaining traction and in the
end its all about personal reputation and the work we have actually
done. And the internet provides no shortage of ways to get our work
into the public domain. I totally agree with your Eric Hoffer
perspective. Just do the work and great things will happen. I really
think writing and publishing often is the key to all this. Engage
people, try to get your work peer reviewed from within your personal
learning network... Great to have you here Jason. Consider creating a
profile on Wikiversity so we can all follow along;
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy#Examples_of_PhDs_using_Wikiversity

Peter

Leigh Blackall

Dec 6, 2011, 7:18:01 PM12/6/11