Heutagogy and Lifelong Learning

Peter Rawsthorne

Jan 3, 2013, 10:47:37 PM1/3/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Great paper and a must read for our ONPhD approach.
http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/1076/2087
This is the kind of paper that could change the focus of my research
Be Well...

Peter Rawsthorne

Jan 3, 2013, 10:50:23 PM1/3/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Given my area of research is in what I call Agile Learner Design.
I actually see this paper as supporting what I have been thinking and advocating for a while...
All good!

Leigh Blackall

Jan 3, 2013, 11:06:34 PM1/3/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this Peter. As a literature review, it should come in handy for my work - slowly trying to develop a research method for assessing self determined and self directed learning activity. My only semi-fleshed out example so far is in  accounting my own learning around a biomass heat transfer unit: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/User:Leighblackall/Networked_learning_a_biomass_heat_transfer_system
Leigh Blackall

Peter Rawsthorne

Jan 3, 2013, 11:37:48 PM1/3/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Well that's a tough one! I was thinking reputation could be a way to assess self determined and self directed learning. Wouldn't being seen as an expert by your peers and existing experts in your chosen field be a good assessment of learning?

I'm in the midst of writing a blog post about how I applied my Agile Learner Design (ALD) methodology to all my learning with Open Badges... other than being a long time advocate for open accreditation I had no exposure to Mozilla Open Badges until early 2012. And by the end of 2012 I was asked to facilitate a workshop with BCCampus / SCoPE on the subject. Essentially my peers assessed me as an expert to a subject I had little knowledge of 9 months previous and with a focused and methodological approach (ALD) I was able to develop an expertise...

But isn't this similar to publishing in peer reviewed journals, speaking at conferences, etc... as a way to be known as an expert?

All good!

Leigh Blackall

Jan 4, 2013, 1:01:25 AM1/4/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
I think it is, yes. But there would be only so much reputation to go around. On the bleeding edge as you are, it is easier to establish yourself in the small community. But if you're working in a field that is established and dominated by an establishment, good luck!

Stewart Hase

Feb 2, 2014, 6:09:46 PM2/2/14
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter.

I'm Stewart Hase, one of the founders of heutagogy.

Any chance of a chat about your research and a book chapter for our new book coming out this year?

Regards

Stewart

Leigh Blackall

Feb 2, 2014, 6:43:15 PM2/2/14
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
I hope you'll share your discussions for the rest of us to benefit from your incites?

Peter, shall we start work on the next phase of the ONPhD program.. the Lit Review?

Thomas Steele-Maley

Feb 2, 2014, 7:54:53 PM2/2/14
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com, open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Agree with Leigh!

Thomas Steele-Maley

Alexander Hayes

Feb 2, 2014, 10:03:19 PM2/2/14
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of 'incites' replacing that of 'insights' :)

In my case I'm seeing the 'lit-review' as living examples of investigation...almost a compendium of biographies per-say intersecting with the official PHD release ie. https://alexander-hayes.squarespace.com/blog/?category=interview

It is a slippery eel for sure and I now wish Leigh would take this discussion from a flat text Google Group to that of a G+ Community which I'm finding infinitely easier to digest, manage and ultimately work from. Yes....it does not have the email in feature but hey....arent we better off open than closed?

Leigh Blackall

Feb 2, 2014, 11:16:41 PM2/2/14
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
I would like to go to G+ too but not at the expense of loosing some of the people signed up here. I know they would struggle to remain engaged (as lurkers who chip in when needed).

In saying that, I can think of some people on G+ who wouldn't join here but would there...

The ultimate goal for me is to finish creating a program on P2PU that steps people through a PhD process and facilitates peer review; and be at a point where a university *should* be able to recognise good work produced through that process.

So far we have a Candidature course on P2PU, next we need Lit Review course with a range of methods and setting up as continuous not finite.