An OnPhD Candidacy Badge System

Peter Rawsthorne

Apr 21, 2013, 10:51:10 AM4/21/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
I have created a badge system to go along with all the tasks in the OnPhD Candidacy challenge on P2Pu. The idea being, when somebody completes one of the tasks they will be awarded the related micro-badge. This opens up to each tasks to being peer assessed. Once they have completed all tasks, received all seven micro-badges, have commitment from a supervisory team... they will be awarded the OnPhD Candidacy badge.

Be well...

Leigh Blackall

Apr 22, 2013, 2:41:13 AM4/22/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
This really gave me a pick up when you awarded me a micro badge Peter. I think its a very good idea. I've been meaning to reciprocate, but work is a bit over bearing at the moment. Where is my escape from this loveless line of work? Will you buy a jacket? http://peakoilcompany.com

Leigh Blackall

Peter Rawsthorne

Apr 23, 2013, 2:15:59 PM4/23/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Hey Leigh,
Can you given me any of the credly badges? I set a badge attribute so others can issue the badge... I'm thinking you have to earn a badge before you can give it...
Cheers, Peter

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Peter Rawsthorne <praws...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have created a badge system to go along with all the tasks in the OnPhD Candidacy challenge on P2Pu. The idea being, when somebody completes one of the tasks they will be awarded the related micro-badge. This opens up to each tasks to being peer assessed. Once they have completed all tasks, received all seven micro-badges, have commitment from a supervisory team... they will be awarded the OnPhD Candidacy badge.

Be well...

Leigh Blackall

Apr 23, 2013, 5:26:57 PM4/23/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com

Will do.

Leigh Blackall

Apr 23, 2013, 5:33:28 PM4/23/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com

Get Peter, I notice that the 3rd Candidacy badge has a name "identify your domain" where as the others are simply "task 1" and "task 2", I much prefer the named one, Is it possible to update t1 and 2 with a name?

Leigh Blackall

Apr 23, 2013, 6:10:45 PM4/23/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Credly is very slick and easy to use Peter. Great spotting. I've awarded you the Learner History and the Domain of Study badges. It looks like these 2 are the ones being used, and that Task 1 and Task 2 will be made redundant?

For the others on this list, check out my Credly profile: https://credly.com/u/1293

Credly gives simple-to-use graphics tools for creating a badge, and all the fields needed for recording evidence. The only additional feature I think is needed is the ability for others to reaffirm the credit given in a badge. You may know if this already exists Peter?

Peter Rawsthorne

Apr 23, 2013, 6:48:00 PM4/23/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
You have issued me two learner history badges. I'm not sure if this is what you did or it is a bug in credly. Could you try and reissue the domain of study badge again.
Yes, the learner history and domain of study have made task 1 and task 2 redundant.
Credly offers the ability to trust the issuer. i have trusted you, so whenever you award me a badge i don't have to confirm it. The idea of affirming a badge would be known as an endorsement in Open Badges language. This feature is a part of their roadmap, it hasn't been implemented yet. Once it is implemented others will be able to endorse a badge. Not sure if this is endorsing a badge available for issue or a badge that has been awarded to an earner. early times...
Peter

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Leigh Blackall <leighb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Get Peter, I notice that the 3rd Candidacy badge has a name "identify your domain" where as the others are simply "task 1" and "task 2", I much prefer the named one, Is it possible to update t1 and 2 with a name?

On Apr 24, 2013 7:26 AM, "Leigh Blackall" <leighb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Will do.

On Apr 24, 2013 4:16 AM, "Peter Rawsthorne" <praws...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Leigh Blackall

Apr 24, 2013, 7:46:56 AM4/24/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
I've corrected the duplicate badge issue Peter.. I think the cause was that I was halfway through issuing, then realised the duplicate and so started a new. Starting a new seems to not fully clear the cache - a bit like an online shopping basket at checkout still containing items you though you had cleared.

Endorsements will be an important addition for Credly to be useful to the peer to peer assessment you've envisaged I think.