OnPhD Challenge 3/7 tasks completed

Peter Rawsthorne

Feb 28, 2013, 3:37:19 PM2/28/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com

Leigh Blackall

Feb 28, 2013, 4:42:17 PM2/28/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Pete, I've been watching your progress. One thought... I like your use of common language, and prefer it way more than the academic speak that formal PhDs are coached in.. but in terms of ONPhD Candidacy demonstrating equivalence, what are your thoughts on using academic language in a way that shows understanding... I've been trying to use the high words along side plain language. I'm still trying when it comes to 'epistemic', or frames of reference, and 'ontological' world views... as a way to show appreciation on how I might fit in the academic universe-unto-itself... I'm the last person wanting to become an egghead, but meaning and worth ...

Peter Rawsthorne

Feb 28, 2013, 7:31:45 PM2/28/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com

Leah,

Short answer, no... I get why you are suggesting this, but I see the main point of what we are doing is to be OPEN. Academic language puts up a barrier. IMO, anyone with less than a masters degree would not engage if we start using academic language. If someone wants to translate into academic venacular, my work is CC-BY-SA. I feel very strongly about this. PhD probably make up less than 1% of the planets population and my audience is the other 99%. We need to encourage every learner that they can do this level of work outside of the institutions. They can aspire to obtain a PhD level of knowing without the cost and rituals of the traditional PhD. Please see my attached graphic... I see so many great open projects get sucked into the academic vortex and then they start to look toward the traditional as the correct path instead of looking towards the many who will benefit most. I am a Frierian and like the disruption of Illich... I will stay true to these voices rather than those of the traditional.

LOVE!!!!

Peter

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Rawsthorne

Feb 28, 2013, 7:48:03 PM2/28/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Please, do not take my words as being harsh. I believe the traditional istitutions have done amazing work and I owe them so very very much!!!! I just see we need alternatives and I really see language as a barrier, particularly academic language. I'd rather see academics use more common language than the common have to learn an academic language... this approach scales much better!

In particular, please read this page... I am a strong believer in Meg Wheatley and Deborah Frieze's work...

Be well...

Peter

Leigh Blackall

Feb 28, 2013, 8:14:50 PM2/28/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Harsh, and good. I agree of course. and will try and keep my eye out for when I slip into it myself

Leigh Blackall

Joelle.Vandermensbrugghe

Feb 28, 2013, 10:20:01 PM2/28/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Just had a look at this it looks really good -

Leigh - your portfolio on wiki has great documents - amazed by what you have all been doing..

Joelle

Dr Joëlle Vandermensbrugghe
Research Education Program Convenor
Graduate Research Office (GRO)
University of Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: + 61 (0)2 6201 2819
Email: Joelle.Vande...@canberra.edu.au
Location: Building 1, level D, room 118
Australian Government Higher Education
Registered Provider CRICOS: #00212K

Feb 28, 2013, 11:40:20 PM2/28/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joelle.
I really appreciate your words of encouragement. This recent work has really got me looking into Heutagogy. I never realized the work toward the educational approaches for self-directed adult learners had come so far. I'm looking forward to reading and learning more. There are a few CoP around Heutagogy... So much to learn so little time.
Kind Regards...
Peter

Joelle.Vandermensbrugghe

Mar 1, 2013, 8:03:13 AM3/1/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Just found the attached articke - am sure it will come as no surprise but found it interesting nonetheless.

Joelle

Dr Joëlle Vandermensbrugghe
Research Education Program Convenor
Graduate Research Office (GRO)
University of Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: + 61 (0)2 6201 2819
Email: Joelle.Vande...@canberra.edu.au
Location: Building 1, level D, room 118
Australian Government Higher Education
Registered Provider CRICOS: #00212K

Mar 1, 2013, 10:21:25 AM3/1/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Great article.
Thank-you for forwarding it along... I'm going to forward it along to my sister-in-law who teaches ESL and is often looking for new approaches, I wonder if she ever explored the value of writing for Wikipedia as an ESL exercise...
Be Well...
Peter