what kind of incentive for mentorship?

Peter Rawsthorne

May 10, 2013, 11:37:39 AM5/10/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
I have begun to think about reaching out to my personal network and seek mentors / supervisors for my OnPhD. I am wanting to offer something in return for the effort someone would provide in being my mentor / supervisor. I am half way through articulating my candidacy and believe there is enough there to engage others and to ask what they would like in return. I do hope to identify a group of people I would like as mentors / supervisors and send them personal requests. I also want to be open and ask if someone wants to engage without a personalized request. Also see these related posts and P2Pu OnPhD candidacy challenge;

Sincerely, Peter

Leigh Blackall

May 10, 2013, 5:01:22 PM5/10/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com

I did this back in 2010 Pete, sent a personal email to 3 people around the world. They were all academics practising in universities. Typical to the profession, their responses were favourable but their actions disappointing. I've found that feedback and review has worked better with each iteration of the 'by publication' approach. I get a first draft somewhere near ready, then solicit review from a range of people, including those I cite in the paper. I document their remarks on the wiki talk page, and address their concers in the following draft.

I'm reckoning this approach is equivalent to a traditional supervisor role, and I'm going that over time, people who offer me these reviews will start to get a broader overview of my thesis, and be able to comment on that too.

Peter Rawsthorne

May 11, 2013, 9:48:31 AM5/11/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
This makes a lot of sense... take a more as specifically needed approach. As for specific review of an article or paper. Thanks for the feedback...
I've got a specific question about research methods, so I will ask on this discussion board...
Peter
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to open-and-networked-phds+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Yves

Jul 2, 2013, 3:15:45 PM7/2/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

I have been reading the posts and followed the progress made for the OnPhD specially the OnPhD candidacy. I am coming again with the proposition of university/organization assessment and partnership? We agreed to make a list of places to call and document their responses but we didn't follow up. Can we return to this project? In fact what we are doing is for our personal learning and professional development. But since we feel to look for endorsements and supervision I think it is important to stress on this aspect and work on it.I think you might find it discouraging. But can we find a way to do it since it is another layer of recognition and endorsement that might open some opportunities?. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yves

Leigh Blackall

Jul 2, 2013, 3:44:31 PM7/2/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com

Hello Yves. I followed up with Charles Darwin University, which I believe to be the most flexible in Australia. All we need is in place there, in what they call a "PhD by pre publication" meaning they will accept and assess work done before enrolling. But the catch is, you must find a supervisor at CDU. This is were I faltered.

Peter Rawsthorne

Jul 2, 2013, 4:33:55 PM7/2/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com
Yves,

Thanks for chiming in about this again. I feel I am in total alignment with what you are saying here. I don't feel discouraged at all, rather envigorated by the possibility of soliciting for endorsements and supervision. What I was looking to have completed is the first six tasks within the OnPhD Candidacy challenge within P2Pu (https://p2pu.org/en/groups/onphd-candidacy/). I have completed 4/7, almost finished the 5th. Once I had the related Open Badges for the first six tasks (which have been developed and available for issue, see one here https://credly.com/give/1093) I was going to start seeking the endorsements and supervision.

I hope to start seeking this during the fall 2013. Very excited to be here with all the background information I have put together by completing the OnPhD candidacy.

Be Well....

Leigh Blackall

Jul 2, 2013, 5:55:32 PM7/2/13
to open-and-ne...@googlegroups.com

The Candidacy process we have been testing is an excellent way for formal and informal phd wanna-bees I reckon.  Universities should be looking to this model.  I know it is too much to ask that they simply use what we've created.  Instead, they will recreate it, and lose much of the spirit.