Hare STV method return contest result in ranked order

stma...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2021, 9:59:26 AM10/27/21
to OpaVote Support Forum
I know I've asked about the Hare method last year.  What I require is for the results to be in ranked order, and what I have found is that OpaVote always returns the result in candidate order.  Last year and this year the contests are simple enough to manually rank the winners, but next year I will have multiple contests where the 8 winners of each must be in strict rank order.  Can you help, or do I need to convert your ballot file to an input file that I can run in a DOS window using CPPro?

Jeff O'Neill

Oct 27, 2021, 7:12:05 PM10/27/21
to stma...@gmail.com, OpaVote Support Forum
Hi Matt,

I don't know what you mean by candidate order and strict rank order.

Jeff

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 9:59 AM stma...@gmail.com <stma...@gmail.com> wrote:
I know I've asked about the Hare method last year.  What I require is for the results to be in ranked order, and what I have found is that OpaVote always returns the result in candidate order.  Last year and this year the contests are simple enough to manually rank the winners, but next year I will have multiple contests where the 8 winners of each must be in strict rank order.  Can you help, or do I need to convert your ballot file to an input file that I can run in a DOS window using CPPro?

stma...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 10:49:43 AM10/28/21
to OpaVote Support Forum
You need to review one of my practice votes, but...

Contest to fill seats on a committee - those ranked 1 & 2 to full 3 year terms and 3rd ranked for a 1 year fill-in.

From the "mtg#2" Ballot file 4 candidates set up in this order:
"Rev. Deacon Rollo Royce"
"Rev. Mary Fairlane"
"Rev. Deborah DeSoto"
"Very Reverend Terrence Hornswaggle"

from the "mtg#2" Results file:
1st Round - Candidates Rev. Deborah DeSoto and Very Reverend Terrence Hornswaggle have reached the threshold and are elected.  (Candidate order)
2nd Round - Candidate Rev. Mary Fairlane has reached the threshold and is elected.
Winners are Rev. Mary Fairlane, Rev. Deborah DeSoto, and Very Reverend Terrence Hornswaggle.  (Candidate order)

All fine and good, but I need to know that Hornswaggle is ranked 1st because he received the most votes and is elected to a full term seat, then DeSoto who is ranked 2nd is also elected to a full term seat, and lastly Fairlane who is ranked 3rd is elected to the 1 year fill-in seat.  The Hare method software we have been using does just that.

Federico García

Mar 27, 2022, 8:44:56 PM3/27/22
to OpaVote Support Forum
Dear support,

I have the same question for the Scottish STV method: when OpaVote shows the Winners they are not in the order they were elected during the rounds.

I'd like to know if it's possible to implement it.

Thanks and regads.

Federico Garcia

Stephen Dincher

Mar 27, 2022, 9:14:14 PM3/27/22
to Federico García, OpaVote Support Forum
I would like to see the bar graphs listed in the order of most votes to least, instead of maintaining the same order each round. It's much easier to follow if the most votes are at the top.

Jeff O'Neill

Mar 27, 2022, 9:17:17 PM3/27/22
to Federico García, OpaVote Support Forum
I am not aware of any STV rules that consider the order of election.  All winners are treated the same and the order in which they are elected doesn't matter.

You could come up with a way of ordering them, but that wouldn't be part of Scottish STV.

Jay Walker

Aug 22, 2022, 4:26:54 PM8/22/22
to OpaVote Support Forum
Do you have any recommendations for a voting method that doesn't treat all winners the same? I have a similar situation where I'm trying to run a ranked choice election where the order of the winners will determine which of multiple similar positions they will get (longer or shorter term).

Jay Ting Walker

Jeff O'Neill

Aug 22, 2022, 4:30:24 PM8/22/22
to Jay Walker, OpaVote Support Forum
Hi Jay,

You could do a cascade waterfall election:

You could also order winners of an STV election by order of election, first place votes, or something else.

Others here might have ideas.

Jeff

stma...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2022, 3:48:53 PM8/28/22
to OpaVote Support Forum
Jay,  I have the same "problem" (General Convention Delegates).  This year I was planning on just scrolling through the results since I present the results in a Word document.  I am attaching an Excel spreadsheet I set up to convert OpaVote ballot files to CPPro input.  Hopefully you can use it to easily convert if needed.
Master template OpaVote to CPPro template.xlsx