Slow to load or songs don't play.

oot...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2009, 11:54:04 AM3/20/09
to ooTunes Support
If you have a very large iTunes library (probably more than 15,000
tracks or so) or if you have ooTunes set to scan a large directory
structure, it may simply be that the default memory settings for the
ooTunes server is not sufficient to quickly load and display that many
tracks. Unfortunately, the way java works (which is the language the
server is written in) you can only specify the maximum amount of
memory before running the program. ooTunes sets this max to 128mb of
ram by default.

Should you desire to increase this default follow these instructions:

NOTE: You'll need to restart the ooTunes server before this change
will take effect. Also in both cases (windows and Mac), you'll need
to make this change (or copy over the configuration file from the
previous version).

On Windows, you'll need to add a special configuration file named
ooTunes.l4j.ini to the same folder as the ooTunes.exe file. This file
simply contains the following text:

-Xmx384m

Which tells ooTunes to use 384MB of memory at the most. That amount
should be enough for even really large libraries (and is maybe
overkill, try 256 if you don't have more than ~30000 tracks.

An example file (you could actually just use this for this setting)
download this: http://help.ootunes.com/ooTunes.l4j.ini (right click
and choose download)

On a Mac, this is slightly different:

Right click on the ooTunes app, and pick "show package contents".
Then open the "Contents" folder and open the Info.plist file and
change the "Java->VMOptions->Item2" value from "-Xmx128m" to "-
Xmx384m".

An example file (you could actually just use this for this setting)
download this: http://help.ootunes.com/Info.plist (right click and
choose download)

Which tells ooTunes to use 384MB of memory at the most. That amount
should be enough for even really large libraries (and is maybe
overkill, try 256 if you don't have more than ~30000 tracks.

Respond here if you have any other questions!

oot...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2009, 11:59:33 AM3/20/09
to ooTunes Support
Changing the default port for ooTunes is similar. For Windows add the
following line to the .ini file:

-Djetty.port=1979

Where 1979 is the the port you want (change it to any valid port...
but typically ports below 1024 require special permissions)

For mac, change java->properties->jetty.port from 1979 to whatever
port number you want.

You'll need to copy that edited file to any newly updated versions as
well, as with the memory settings above

On Mar 20, 10:54 am, "ootu...@gmail.com" <ootu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have a very large iTunes library (probably more than 15,000
> tracks or so) or if you have ooTunes set to scan a large directory
> structure, it may simply be that the default memory settings for the
> ooTunes server is not sufficient to quickly load and display that many
> tracks.  Unfortunately, the way java works (which is the language the
> server is written in) you can only specify the maximum amount of
> memory before running the program.  ooTunes sets this max to 128mb of
> ram by default.
>
> Should you desire to increase this default follow these instructions:
>
> NOTE: You'll need to restart the ooTunes server before this change
> will take effect.  Also in both cases (windows and Mac), you'll need
> to make this change (or copy over the configuration file from the
> previous version).
>
> On Windows, you'll need to add a special configuration file named
> ooTunes.l4j.ini to the same folder as the ooTunes.exe file.  This file
> simply contains the following text:
>
> -Xmx384m
>
> Which tells ooTunes to use 384MB of memory at the most.  That amount
> should be enough for even really large libraries (and is maybe
> overkill, try 256 if you don't have more than ~30000 tracks.
>
> An example file (you could actually just use this for this setting)
> download this:http://help.ootunes.com/ooTunes.l4j.ini(right click
> and choose download)
>
> On a Mac, this is slightly different:
>
> Right click on the ooTunes app, and pick "show package contents".
> Then open the "Contents" folder and open the Info.plist file and
> change the "Java->VMOptions->Item2" value from "-Xmx128m" to "-
> Xmx384m".
>
> An example file (you could actually just use this for this setting)
> download this:http://help.ootunes.com/Info.plist(right click and

oot...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2009, 12:02:29 PM3/20/09
to ooTunes Support

Changing the subject back...
> > download this:http://help.ootunes.com/Info.plist(rightclick and

woo

Apr 29, 2009, 11:40:34 PM4/29/09
to ooTunes Support
All future versions use 256M for the memory default. This should
allow even really really large libraries to be used without any
problem. Please let me know if the lastest version has any issues
with your iTunes library, particularly if you have a large number of
tracks,
Thanks,
Steve