Opening ports on a Mac with an Airport Extreme Wireless base station

oot...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2009, 10:26:29 PM2/7/09
to ooTunes Support
Nat-PMP is like upnp (universal plug and play) but apple style. It
lets software request a port to be used while it is running and makes
portforwarding much easier (automatic).

All newer apple Airport routers include this feature.

"Unfortunately, NAT-PMP is off by default. To enable it, first make
sure you have Airport 4.2 or later (available in Software Update),
then run the AirPort Admin Utility. If it asks you to update your base
station's firmware, make sure that you do so, as NAT-PMP requires the
latest firmware. Go to the "AirPort" tab and click the "Base Station
Options..." button. In the sheet that drops down, turn on the "Enable
NAT Port Mapping Protocol" checkbox in the "Ethernet Port Security""

I'm not sure if this still applies as it's from an older tutorial.
There should be something in the setup utility that talks about NAT
Mapping though, and turning that on should just work with ooTunes.

robere

Feb 7, 2009, 11:45:48 PM2/7/09
to ooTunes Support
I've set it up with an Airport Extreme with a slightly different setup
- using Leopard (10.5.6) and firmware 7.3.2. Once you're in Airport
Utility, double click on your router then click on the 'internet' icon
at the top. Once there click on the "NAT" tab and check to box for
"Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol."

That may be all you need to do but since I have a number of machines
running on my wireless network (each with their own static IP address)
I decided to specifically map port 1979 on my computer running the
server (for instance, 10.0.1.2:1979) to port 1979 of the outside
connection from my ISP (e.g., 24.198.23.24:1979). To do that you click
on "Configure Port Mappings..." from the NAT tab or you can find it
under the "Advanced" icon and "Port Mapping" tab. Once there, click on
the plus icon to make a new mapping. From there, I just filled in the
public and private TCP fields with 1979 and the private IP address
field with my local IP address for the machine with the ooTunes
server. In my case that's 10.0.1.2 but there are other popular local
network IP ranges, like 192.168.1.x...

I'll post a few screenshots if that will help.

robere