Router/Firewall/PortForwarding Help

woo

Feb 9, 2009, 2:52:04 AM2/9/09
to ooTunes Support
Getting ooTunes setup with your router could be as easy as doing
nothing and as hard as creating world peace. If you're reading this
you may have found it to be closer to the latter:

So first tip, follow the instructions for your specific router model
here:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Just choose the first program (ooTunes isn't listed yet) and anywhere
they specify a port (if you pick the first it will be 25) you want to
replace that with 1979.

They have most routers and usually this is enough for you modem
router.

Other things to know are the OS firewall (usually you make an
exception for the program but sometimes you may need to specify a
port, which again should be port 1979)

Finally some Antivirus software also has a firewall which will need a
port or application exception to be setup.

Sometimes it's easiest to turn each firewall so you can turn them back
on and find which one is blocking access.

Some of this info is here:

http://help.ootunes.com/firewallSetup.html

If you happen to have 2 or 3 different routers/modems/firewall,
perhaps the peace corps would be a better use of your time? It's
frustratingly tricky stuff!

Post specific questions problems here!

ms6of9

Feb 9, 2009, 5:38:05 PM2/9/09
to ooTunes Support
I am still having issues with the test it always fails on the firewall
section. I have followed all the instructions. I have setup a static
IP on my MAC I did all the instructions for my router to forward to
port 1979 I have no other firewalls running at least to my knowledge.
I have no antivirus software. I am running Mac OS x 10.5.6 with a
Linksys WRT54GS router connecting wirelessly. Please help me!

woo

Feb 9, 2009, 6:44:17 PM2/9/09
to ooTunes Support
Is the router connected directly to your phoneline/cable or is there a
separate modem between the router and the internet?
Steve

ms6of9

Feb 9, 2009, 7:14:06 PM2/9/09
to ooTunes Support
The router is connected to my DSL modem I use to connect to internet.

woo

Feb 9, 2009, 7:18:36 PM2/9/09
to ooTunes Support
Ahah, okay, so the DSL modem probably also has a firewall. Do you
know the model of the Modem? There should be a way to access its
settings and then you need to either forward the port specifically to
the router which then forwards it to the computer. Or, since you
already have the router doing the firewall thing you could disable the
modem's firewall and tell it to just forward everything to the router.
The same list of routers in the original post should have instructions
for your DSL modem (hopefully!)

ms6of9

Feb 9, 2009, 7:30:26 PM2/9/09
to ooTunes Support
I have a ZyXEL Prestige600 there is instructions for this but the ip
address they say to use by default is the one for my router so how do
I get into it?

Steven Woolley

Feb 9, 2009, 7:35:07 PM2/9/09
to oot...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's a real duzy! I'm guessing that there's no easy way to do
so. Can you connect a computer directly to the modem with a ethernet
cord and change the settings that way, then plug it back into the
router? That's the only thing I can think of. This is about as tough
as it gets for a setup though!

ms6of9

Feb 9, 2009, 8:02:52 PM2/9/09
to ooTunes Support
No kidding I hooked a laptop directly to it but could not get in, I
called my DSL company and they said to bring my router in tomorrow and
they could open that port up for me. So hopefully that should do it.

ms6of9

woo

Feb 9, 2009, 3:21:43 AM2/9/09
to ooTunes Support

ms6of9

Feb 10, 2009, 7:19:18 PM2/10/09
to ooTunes Support
Well I finally passed the firewall test but I had to purchase a static
IP from my DSL company to overcome that firewall on the DSL modem. I
now can do what I want with any port and it now should work. Anxious
to get it going I will post when all is working.

Steven Woolley

Feb 10, 2009, 9:10:53 PM2/10/09
to oot...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear (although I find it a bit suspect that they had to charge you for it ... I have a dynamic IP and it works fine, but that's the phone company.)  Either way, I'm glad it's working!