Parallel L293D's

Tarkin

Feb 11, 2012, 8:40:49 PM2/11/12
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Hi all,
Does any know offhand if you can tie two L293D to parallel their
output
and double the peak output current (from 1.2A 2.4A)?

TIA,
Tarkin

Will Pollock

Feb 13, 2012, 7:51:59 PM2/13/12
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
I currently have 2 SN754410's stacked which are pin compatible with the L293
chips. So I believe it should work.

-Will

TIA,
Tarkin

MikeD

Feb 13, 2012, 8:56:04 PM2/13/12
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
My analog electronics is rusty but I know that in general this method
will not work. I know that you need to increase wire gauge, not the
number of wires, to increase current through-put. I certainly cannot
make a bigger amplifier by stacking output transistors in parallel. If
the 293s were 'ideal' this would work but in reality one is going to
be a microsecond slower or have a milli-ohm more resistance than the
other one and an over-load can happen in a fraction of a second. Note
also that if you run a 293 at near peak it will need a really good
heat sink either with a radiator on top and or a large ground plain.