OOPic software gone?

ThomThom

Jul 20, 2011, 3:06:36 AM7/20/11
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
I got some OOPic hardware I bought some years ago. However, I do not
have the software any more and went looking for the website - only to
find it gone.
Is there no way to obtain the software so I can use my hardware?

:(

Ray Xu

Jul 20, 2011, 10:46:25 AM7/20/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear about that Thom, but unfortunately yes, Savage Innovations had some internal problems a few years ago and went out of business...for now.  I heard they may be making another oopic right now (I did see a blog dedicated to the dev of the new oopic, forgot the link)?  not sure.  But if I were you, the oopic is worth holding onto in case Savage makes a comeback.

Best of luck to your project

Ray Xu

__________
73, Ray Xu
KF5LJO

denis

Jul 20, 2011, 6:49:29 PM7/20/11
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
`Hi,

I've posted two zip files of the OOPIC software (Compiler 6.0, and
port driver ) of FileFactory.com for Thomas and have emailed the link
to him.
Hopefully it will be all he needs.

Regards

Denis. :)
> KF5LJO- Hide quoted text -

Dave Warner

Jul 20, 2011, 9:43:18 PM7/20/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Good Man, Denis !! We can keep it alive !

Dave W.
I'm still alive!

> Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:49:29 -0700
> Subject: [OOPIC Micro] Re: OOPic software gone?
> From: dma...@iol.ie
> To: oopic...@googlegroups.com

Keegan

Jul 24, 2011, 6:03:42 PM7/24/11
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Hi Denis,

I'm actually in the same position as Thom, used an OOPIC R during high
school but had used other things in college and since then. I was
just thinking about hacking something together with it, and couldn't
find the program anywhere. Do you still have that link available?
Thanks!

-- Keegan

denis

Jul 24, 2011, 6:36:49 PM7/24/11
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
The zip files are on filefactory.com, but I cannot seem to set them as
public. The site does not provide that facility.
I can only email a link to them from the site to a specific email.
If you want to email me with your email address, I will send the link
to you.

email me at dmahony...@iol.ie - remove the X's.

It would be good if the files could be put on the google group but I
think we cannot do that.
Is there a site that would hold them publicly ? And would that be
legal ? I don't know if the
software should be restricted in any way at this time. Presumably it
is not in the public domain
and only owners of OOPICS are licenced to hold it ?

My OOPIC is a model OOPIC II Ver B.1.0 and is still driving my
wanderer robot :)

The compiler is version 6.0. Was that compatible/sufficient with the
later OOPIC R ?

Regards

Denis

David Michalek

Jul 24, 2011, 6:36:51 PM7/24/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
I have it but google will not let me send it because it has an exe file in it.

David Michalek

Jul 24, 2011, 6:38:44 PM7/24/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
I have it but google will not let me send it as it has an exe file in it

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM.

, denis <dma...@iol.ie> wrote:
The zip files are on filefactory.cut I cannot seem to set them as

denis

Jul 24, 2011, 6:51:18 PM7/24/11
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
I see that Google have made the OOPIC group files available on the
group page to download as ZIP files.
In one of them is the compiler - so anyone can get it there until
AUGUST 2011.
I don't know why that process is in place.

Are they going to terminate the group due to spam /lack of interest ?

Denis

On Jul 24, 11:38 pm, David Michalek <dmichal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have it but google will not let me send it as it has an exe file in it
>
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM.
>

> , denis <dmah...@iol.ie> wrote:
> > The zip files are on filefactory.c <http://filefactory.com>ut I cannot
> > seem to set them as
> > public. The site does not provide that facility.
> > I can only email a link to them from the site to a specific email.
> > If you want to email me with your email address, I will send the link
> > to you.
>
> > email me at    dmahony_XXXX...@iol.ie     - remove the X's.
> >http://groups.google.com/group/oopic_micro?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

David Michalek

Jul 24, 2011, 7:03:46 PM7/24/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Well I guess more people need to talk about it then

I have a super droid 6 wheel robot but cannot get the motor controllers to work.  Do you know how to do that?

Denis mahony

Jul 24, 2011, 8:00:10 PM7/24/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

My experience with motors stretched to driving servos in the main.
I also experimented with driving a stepper motor with the OOPIC.
And driving other motors through a motor driver module based on the IC L293D.

Can i even remember how i did it now ? .........   :)

I never did try to control *6* motors at a time :)

Are you saying it is possibly faulty ? Or did they ever drive ?

Are you able to address any motor, even in a simple piece of code ?

I was guided by Dennis Clarke's advise in the early days of the OOPIC.

He published an excellent book on programming the OOPIC.
I guess he still has the book for sale as a PDF online.

The basic principals say you set each motor up on an output port and change the condition on that port to either
drive or stop the motor. It would be addressed through a motor driver of some kind (IC or module. possibly ).
I thought of it as setting bits in a control register , the combined output bits being a  4 bit port - for a 4 motor setup.

All motors off ->   send 0000 as the value to the register
All motors off ->   send 1111 as the value to the register

Any in between scenario requiring you to define a logical value to do what you want, presumably based on inputs /feedback
from sensors/switches.  Or ramdomise a value to make it look silly/drunk/indecisive... :)

Presumably for 6 motors you would use 6 bits of an 8 bit port, write to the six bits that are set to drive the motor, ignoring the
state of the other bits 7 & 8.

Did you build the model from your own design or from a kit ?
Do the suppliers provide any tutorials/support on line ?

Regards

Denis

David Michalek

Jul 24, 2011, 8:22:46 PM7/24/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

It was a Superdroid kit and the motors never fired up through the motor controllers.

When I asked the kit supplier for advice he consistently said "whatever you want"....being a beginner this never made any sense to me.

I was never able to get them to work using the motor controllers.

Will try what you suggested...the opic it self seems to be working.

Denis mahony

Jul 24, 2011, 8:56:43 PM7/24/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

> the opic it self seems to be working
So you're happy ypu can control the output bits ?
I used to use LEDS as a test device. Connect a LED to the output pin
(in place of the motor )
and see if it does actually turn on and off for you under your program control.
Write a simple program to do just that.

Then you know that the motor input is getting it's signal to operate.

How is the motor powered ?  Usually the OOPIC has a 5Volt on board, for control only.
The motor has it's own power source, which is turned on or off as a signal is given to the
motor controller.

Check the power source to the motor. Is it the correct voltage and connected the right way.
Can you manually power the motor by setting the controller input to the required state.
In the past I would have used a jumper wire to set conditions like this, as a sanity check :)

If you can give me some documentation on the kit, I might be more helpful

Cheers

G'night
It's 2am here - time for bed ... ZZZZZZZZ..........

denis

Jul 24, 2011, 9:00:40 PM7/24/11
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Sorry guys - I just realised I was not trimming my replies
and quoting piles of text.........

D,

David Michalek

Jul 24, 2011, 9:19:27 PM7/24/11
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Right the oopic has its own power source.  The motors are large so they have a very large power source.  All this is correct.

My problem is I could never seem to figure out the correct program for the controllers.  Or I could never figure out how to alter the program to make it work.

I can make the oopic play music flash lights etc.  I can hook the batteries directly to the motors and they run fine.

I just cannot get the oopic to talk to the motors. or anything else.

At the moment I am several thousand miles away from the kit but once I get back home will give it another crack...

Thanks for the led tip.

Keegan

Jul 26, 2011, 3:26:34 PM7/26/11
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Wow, that was fast, thanks a bunch!

I honestly do not remember what I used with my OOPIC R last, but I
imagine 6.0 will be fine.

I'm trying to build a skimmer robot for my pool, haha :)

On Jul 24, 5:36 pm, denis <dmah...@iol.ie> wrote:
> The zip files are on filefactory.com, but I cannot seem to set them as
> public. The site does not provide that facility.
> I can only email a link to them from the site to a specific email.
> If you want to email me with your email address, I will send the link
> to you.
>
> email me at    dmahony_XXXX...@iol.ie     - remove the X's.

BIGBUG

Aug 14, 2011, 11:33:16 AM8/14/11
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Guys,

I thought you should know that a newer pre beta version of the oopic
compiler updated to win 7 and our new social world... is available at
brainmonkey.us

It IS NOT a run time yet and you will need to install the VS 2010
Express Edition (link on the page) to get it to run, but run it does.
I am programming my R's all day long with it, even back to ver. B.
Note - You must register to get the downloads... sorry, but it will be
worth it. Think about this for a few, a social network of like minded
developers, in all skill levels, all inside your SIDE. ( S.I.D.E. =
Socially Integrated Development Environment)

Scott is doing well and contrary to popular belief there were no
'internal problems' nor did he go out of business...(gotta love the
web) Simply, as we all know, the sucky economy hurt us.
He is working very hard very hard on the new BrainMonkey SIDE and the
BrainMonkey Website. Don't expect too much from the website right
away, it is very much under development.

A little note... watch the BrainMonkey.us website... there is a new
ooPic RS just about ready to release, we are talking days.

Happy to answer any BrainMonkey or oopic questions if you send them
OFF LIST to ted DOT macy AT gmail DOT com.

Ted Macy
JT Technology
http://babblebot.net
"We make robots talk!"
(CowboyCoder on BrainMonkey.us)

Peter van den Neste

Jul 30, 2018, 6:31:00 AM7/30/18
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Dear Thom Thom,

don't know if your still searching but i might be able to help you.
Have an OOPIC, still brand new (not used) and perhaps i can provide software.
Alternatively I am willing to sell my OOPIC kit, including CD and book to you.

Greetz,

Peter vd Neste

John Waalkes

Mar 20, 2019, 12:29:22 AM3/20/19
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Hi Peter,

I would be interested in buying your OOPIC stuff.

Thanks!

John

joecoin

Mar 20, 2019, 7:14:40 AM3/20/19
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Hello John,

I have a used OOPIC-R along with a base and lots of sendors/switches. I also have the book. I would sell it if you are interested.

Michael Denny

Mar 20, 2019, 12:05:35 PM3/20/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

If John is not interested in buying your oopic stuff, I may be. What are you asking?

Mike

John Waalkes

Mar 20, 2019, 3:22:24 PM3/20/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Hi joecoin,

I'm interested, and I've sent you an email.

Thanks,

John

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 6:14 AM joecoin <jsche...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello John,

I have a used OOPIC-R along with a base and lots of sendors/switches. I also have the book. I would sell it if you are interested.

Reid

Mar 20, 2019, 6:17:33 PM3/20/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
I have one. I can give it you free but help pay for shipping cost

Reid

John Waalkes

Mar 21, 2019, 7:14:25 PM3/21/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
That would be great, and paying for shipping is no problem at all.

Thanks,

John

joecoin

Apr 10, 2019, 10:49:24 AM4/10/19
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Mike,

Sorry but John has bought everything except for the wheeled base.

Robert Haddad

Apr 10, 2019, 11:10:12 AM4/10/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

If anyone has the software, it would be really cool to get a copy, and I’d be happy to host a it on my server for free. I’m sure a few people including my self would love to find it.

Best regards,

Robert

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 10, 2019, at 5:49 PM, joecoin <jsche...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> Sorry but John has bought everything except for the wheeled base.

Michael Denny

Apr 10, 2019, 4:09:13 PM4/10/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I have exe for oopic compiler 6.12 in two steps (OOPIC6.11 install and OOPIC6.12 update) as an 8MB zip. Please let me know means to transfer and, of course, I make no explicit or implicit claims as to how this software may be used.

Mike

Robert Haddad

Apr 10, 2019, 5:46:03 PM4/10/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

You could upload it to Box.com or Dropbox.com, and share the link if you’d like, let me know if you have another way that is more preferable.

Best regards,

Robert

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Denny

Apr 10, 2019, 6:55:28 PM4/10/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
This is done and the link for The OOPIC Microcontroller [mailto:oopic...@googlegroups.com], which I hope works, is https://www.dropbox.com/s/jotvfdmqrdqbmyb/OOPic6_11_to_6_12_Files.zip?dl=0 .

Robert Haddad

Apr 10, 2019, 7:36:02 PM4/10/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, thank you. Any other software that anyone has or documents would be great to add to what Mike has provided. I’ll share a link on here soon.

Sent from my iPhone

John Waalkes

Apr 24, 2019, 9:30:04 PM4/24/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
I've got the source code for 5.1.8, do you want that?

Robert Haddad

Apr 25, 2019, 3:14:20 AM4/25/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
For sure. I also found some documentation that I’ll add as well

Sent from my iPhone

jlcook

Apr 26, 2019, 1:42:14 PM4/26/19
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Hi - I may be able to help.

I archived the entire OOPic website years ago in case at some point in the future it disappeared (well that day has come .. actually quite some time ago!).

I loved playing with the OOPic - and I'd love to help.  I am not very familiar with uploading files to groups, but I will see what I can do to post the archived website files...

Jason

jlcook

Apr 26, 2019, 2:15:41 PM4/26/19
to The OOPIC Microcontroller
Here is the archived site shared on my OneDrive...

Notes:

index.html   This was the latest landing page posted by Savage Innovations (OOPic) - however, I find the older landing page more visually interesting... navigate there using the "Original Page" hyperlink (or go directly there, it's indexOld.htm)

Download software NOT using the "Download the latest OOPic software" link, but instead use the "local" link directly next to it.
  note: v5.1.8 was the latest at the time I archived the site.  I found it to more stable than v6... sometimes anyway.  Worth a check.

Cheers!
Jason
Message has been deleted

John Waalkes

Apr 28, 2019, 10:35:57 PM4/28/19
to oopic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I just saw this message, sorry about the delay.

I have both the source (zipped, which Gmail doesn't like) and a self-executing .exe of the program. I'll try both, and if Gmail likes the .exe through, I'll try to create an exe of the source as well.

Bah... Okay, so that didn't work, we'll try this:

Go to:

and download the program.

In a shell, use this command to decrypt  the files:

a <filename> 2 1 OOPIC.

The "OOPIC" extension is there as a gentle reminder as to what the password is. :) Remove it when you are finished.

Please note that by default the program overwrites the input file. This really isn't a big deal.
And please also note that while XOR'ing an "encrypted" file a second time *should* return it to the original, this program doesn't. So be sure to use the "2" in the command line.

Enjoy,

John

OOPic_5.1.8_exe.zip.OOPIC
Source_5-1-8.OOPIC