rock 0.9.10 is out!

fasterthanlime

Jul 11, 2015, 6:40:36 AM7/11/15
to ooc-...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to announce the release of rock 0.9.10, codename 'rita'!

This release represents 196 commits, 178 files changed with 8520 additions and 4468 deletions, 64 issues closed, and about 30 pull requests merged!

It contains a lot of contributions from @zhaihj, who has been maintaining their own fork of rock and fixing issues while I was gone. It also contains the bulk of the work of @shamanas right after 0.9.9 was released, and many reports from the Cogneco team, @davidhesselbom in particular. Welcome also to @ds84182, @ibara, and @kirbyfan64 for their first patch!

The 0.9.10 release is codenamed “rita” because it’s the name of my dog! (– amos) Adopted her a week ago, and doesn’t really care for ooc generics bugs, but she’s lovely nonetheless

In this release, parts of rock's code have been reworked to be more resistant to crashes, mostly by checking its input more closely. I've also tried to clean up the style of the code, and add comments to a few files.

Noteworthy additions include a CMake driver (by @zhaihj), the ability to use grouped import syntax in the `Imports` directive of .use files, the null-coalescing operator `??`, and a lot of things related to closures, generics, and operators, that aren't exactly 'new features' but rather 'fixes that make things that were impossible before possible'. This one is my favorite: https://github.com/fasterthanlime/rock/issues/346

`sam`, our package-manager / code checker / test runner all rolled into one, has also seen some cool updates, including a 'sam-assert' library now used throughout the rock restsuite. I encourage you to read the updated docs — http://ooc-lang.org/docs/tools/sam/

The homebrew formula has already been updated for 0.9.10: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/rock.rb

A new bootstrap has been uploaded, and the 0.9.10 code lives on github at https://github.com/fasterthanlime/rock

Have a fantastic week, and see you next year for 0.9.11! (or sooner)

Much love,
- Amos Wenger (aka fasterthanlime)