Anyone developing on the Mac?

Mark Mayfield

Aug 31, 2009, 9:16:33 AM8/31/09
to ontopia
I just upgraded my Mac to Snow Leopard (10.6). It seems that the only
version of Java now on the Mac is 1.6, and now I can no longer do any
builds.

Anyone know how to get Java 1.5 back on the Mac under Snow Leopard?

Thanks,
Mark

Lars Marius Garshol

Aug 31, 2009, 9:23:02 AM8/31/09
to ont...@googlegroups.com

* Mark Mayfield

Have you checked under
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/

to see what versions are available? I'm on Leopard (10.5), and I have
1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6. Can't recall doing anything special to get all
these versions, so I'd assume you would at least have 1.5 available
still, even if 1.6 might be the default.

I do some tricks in my .profile to make sure I can run the Java
version I want with ant and on the command-line.

--Lars M.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/tmphoto/
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

Mark Mayfield

Aug 31, 2009, 9:34:34 AM8/31/09
to ontopia
The Java Preferences in the utilities use to show the different
versions...now it only shows a 64-bit and a 32-bit version of Java 6.

I'm using Eclipse, but the ant script can't seem to find Java 1.5.

I see the different folders in /System/Library/Frameworks/
JavaVM.framework/Versions/, but they are aliases.

It seems that other people that need Java 1.5 under Snow Leopard are
having similar problems.

Thanks.

On Aug 31, 8:23 am, Lars Marius Garshol <lar...@garshol.priv.no>

Mark Mayfield

Aug 31, 2009, 9:39:41 AM8/31/09
to ontopia
All the 1.5 folders in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
Versions/ are aliased to the new 1.6.0 folder.

On Aug 31, 8:23 am, Lars Marius Garshol <lar...@garshol.priv.no>

Lars Marius Garshol

Aug 31, 2009, 9:42:11 AM8/31/09
to ont...@googlegroups.com

* Mark Mayfield

> The Java Preferences in the utilities use to show the different
> versions...now it only shows a 64-bit and a 32-bit version of Java 6.

Never used that, so I'm not familiar with it.

> I'm using Eclipse, but the ant script can't seem to find Java 1.5.

It probably just uses the default VM, which is Java 1.6.

> I see the different folders in /System/Library/Frameworks/
> JavaVM.framework/Versions/, but they are aliases.

On my Mac, 1.5 is an alias for 1.5.0, but 1.5.0 is *not* an alias.

> It seems that other people that need Java 1.5 under Snow Leopard are
> having similar problems.

That may mean either that 1.5 is not there, or that whatever build/
runtime systems they're using are not picking up 1.5. I saw some
postings along these lines myself but was not convinced that 1.5 is
really gone. (It may be, I just haven't seen proof of it yet.)

Anyway, our local sysadmin says Bouvet will order Snow Leopard "soon",
so it may take a while before I run into this issue.

Lars Marius Garshol

Aug 31, 2009, 9:45:12 AM8/31/09
to ont...@googlegroups.com

* Mark Mayfield

> All the 1.5 folders in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
> Versions/ are aliased to the new 1.6.0 folder.

Uh oh. Now that is a problem. :-/

Not sure what to do about it, to be honest.

Mark Mayfield

Aug 31, 2009, 10:16:45 AM8/31/09
to ontopia
I found this on a Snow Leopard compatibility site:

Java Note: After Snow Leopard installation, only Java SE 6 remains and
is used for all Java applications and applets; previous Java versions
(which were present in Leopard and Tiger) are gone. This may cause
issues with Java apps/applets that don't work correctly with Java SE
6: these will need to be updated to work with Snow Leopard.

On Aug 31, 8:45 am, Lars Marius Garshol <lar...@garshol.priv.no>

John Walsh

Aug 31, 2009, 10:21:09 AM8/31/09
to ont...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how reliable these are, but here are some instructions
for getting 1.5 back on one's system:

<http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard>.

John
--
| John A. Walsh
| Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Science
| Indiana University, 1320 East Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405
| www: <http://www.slis.indiana.edu/faculty/jawalsh/>
| Voice:812-856-0707 Fax:812-856-2062 <mailto:jaw...@indiana.edu>

Mark Mayfield

Aug 31, 2009, 11:19:25 AM8/31/09
to ontopia
That works.
> | Voice:812-856-0707 Fax:812-856-2062 <mailto:jawa...@indiana.edu>

Lars Marius Garshol

Sep 1, 2009, 6:44:00 AM9/1/09
to ont...@googlegroups.com

* John Walsh

> I don't know how reliable these are, but here are some instructions
> for getting 1.5 back on one's system:
>
> <http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard>.

Thank you for this! If we see this question again I'll put this into
the wiki. (And thanks to Mark for confirming that it worked.)