Java applets are not supported in Chrome/Firefox/MS-Edge

Andres Soto

Apr 25, 2017, 3:30:03 PM4/25/17
to ontopia
Hello,
I am new using Ontopia. I just installed it today, but I can't use Vizigator because Java applets are not supported in Chrome/Firefox/MS-Edge. What can I do?
Thanks in advanced
Best regards
Andres

Quintin Siebers

Apr 25, 2017, 5:20:03 PM4/25/17
to Ontopia Mailing List
Dear Andres,

I am new using Ontopia. I just installed it today, but I can't use Vizigator because Java applets are not supported in Chrome/Firefox/MS-Edge. What can I do?

According to Can-I-Use [1]:

Obsolete/deprecated HTML elements: applet
These elements/tags are obsolete and should not be used. Because of this, browser support is not tracked.

And Oracle [2]:

Google's Chrome version 45 (scheduled for release in September 2015) drops support for NPAPI, impacting plugins for Silverlight, Java, Facebook Video and other similar NPAPI based plugins.

There seems to be a work-around for Firefox [3], and you can try to use IE 11. However all of this boils down to this: it is no longer supported.

You can see the Vizigator in action by using the VizDesktop which should still work. This does not run inside the browser but just as a java application. It is included in the Ontopia distribution, and you can start it with the vizdesktop.sh/bat in the bin directory.

With regards,

Quintin Siebers

--
(+31) (0)6 - 11 06 16 27

Morpheus Kennistechnologie BV
postbus 69
3500 CD Utrecht
KVK 30 26 04 30

Andres Soto

Apr 26, 2017, 7:54:35 AM4/26/17
to ontopia
Hi Quintin,
Thanks for the information. I already found the vizdesktop.sh/bat in the bin directory and it works!
Best regards
Andres