Problems Deploying

Mark Seaborne

Oct 31, 2019, 12:07:58 PM10/31/19
to ontopia
Hi,

After a short break from using Ontopia I find that previously working deployments to Ubuntu 18.04 are no longer running in the bundled Tomcat instance. I have tried building new WARs with Maven following the supplied instructions, but that fails too. I’m no Java developer so I’m not sure what the problems might be. I guess that something in the default Ubuntu setup has changed to the point where Ontopia is no longer compatible. I would welcome some pointers to at least help me gather and understand information that might help get to the bottom of my problems.

Thanks for any help.

Best wishes

Mark

Mark Seaborne

Nov 13, 2019, 5:03:06 AM11/13/19
to ont...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I switched back to Java 1.8 and all my problems went away - I was able to make a build and deploy it without hitch.

Just wondering how active Ontopia development is these days? I find Topic Maps very natural to work with, but implementations are very thin on the ground these days. Are people migrating to other technologies?

Best wishes

Mark

Quintin Siebers

Nov 19, 2019, 5:40:14 AM11/19/19
to Ontopia Mailing List
Hi Mark,

It seems I’ve missed your first message, so I’ll try to answer both messages.

After a short break from using Ontopia I find that previously working deployments to Ubuntu 18.04 are no longer running in the bundled Tomcat instance. I have tried building new WARs with Maven following the supplied instructions, but that fails too. I’m no Java developer so I’m not sure what the problems might be. I guess that something in the default Ubuntu setup has changed to the point where Ontopia is no longer compatible. I would welcome some pointers to at least help me gather and understand information that might help get to the bottom of my problems.

I’m unable to help you with this issue without more specific failure information, such as errors, logs and exception traces.

I switched back to Java 1.8 and all my problems went away - I was able to make a build and deploy it without hitch.

What Java version were you using when you encountered the issues before?

Just wondering how active Ontopia development is these days?

At Morpheus we are developing Ontopia, and software on top of Ontopia. We would like to spend more time developing Ontopia, but sadly time is scarce.

With regards,

Quintin Siebers

--
(+31) (0)6 - 11 06 16 27

Morpheus Kennistechnologie BV
postbus 69
3500 CD Utrecht
KVK 30 26 04 30

On 31 Oct 2019, at 16:07, 'Mark Seaborne' via ontopia <ont...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi,

After a short break from using Ontopia I find that previously working deployments to Ubuntu 18.04 are no longer running in the bundled Tomcat instance. I have tried building new WARs with Maven following the supplied instructions, but that fails too. I’m no Java developer so I’m not sure what the problems might be. I guess that something in the default Ubuntu setup has changed to the point where Ontopia is no longer compatible. I would welcome some pointers to at least help me gather and understand information that might help get to the bottom of my problems.

Thanks for any help.

Best wishes

Mark

Mark Seaborne

Nov 20, 2019, 5:24:23 AM11/20/19
to ont...@googlegroups.com
Hi Quintin,

Thanks for getting back to me.

On 19 Nov 2019, at 10:39, Quintin Siebers <q.si...@mssm.nl> wrote:

[...]

I had a look and this is what is installed:

1            /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java      1111      manual mode
2            /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java   1081      manual mode

If I use 2 to build ontopia (mvn clean install && mvn clean install -Pontopia-distribution-tomcat) it works fine. If I use 1, I get errors. The Ontopia engine fails to build and so everything else is skipped. I'm not sure how useful it is, but this is the error message I get at the end of the process:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.20.1:test (default-test) on project ontopia-engine: Execution default-test of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.20.1:test failed.: NullPointerException

Just wondering how active Ontopia development is these days?

At Morpheus we are developing Ontopia, and software on top of Ontopia. We would like to spend more time developing Ontopia, but sadly time is scarce.

Okay, thanks, that's helpful. Good to know that the project is still alive. I like Topic Maps and the Ontopia implementation and will continue to use them for the time being. I couldn't help but notice that the Morpheus Web site seems a bit out-of-date.

Best wishes

Mark