TMCL support?

Andree Chea

Mar 24, 2018, 3:14:23 PM3/24/18
to ontopia
Greetings!

I am still designing my app and am wondering how well supported TMCL is or if I should use OSL.  I have a database of objects I'd like to convert into topics with DB2TM.  I then have an ontology (like SKOS) where I would like the user to make associations between topics in the database and topics in the ontology.  I can enforce this on the client with business logic but would also like a constraint language on the backend - is TMCL supported in some way?

I have also found a bug with Vizigator - it does not load CTM files.  See:

Regards,
Andree

Quintin Siebers

Mar 25, 2018, 1:53:11 PM3/25/18
to Ontopia Mailing List
Dear Andree,

I am still designing my app and am wondering how well supported TMCL is or if I should use OSL.  I have a database of objects I'd like to convert into topics with DB2TM.  I then have an ontology (like SKOS) where I would like the user to make associations between topics in the database and topics in the ontology.  I can enforce this on the client with business logic but would also like a constraint language on the backend - is TMCL supported in some way?

TMCL is the official standard and OSL is deprecated because of that. However, Ontopia does not have an implementation of TMCL, so you would need to create that yourself or find a way to motivate us to do it for you :).
Ah, that looks like a quick fix.

With regards,

Quintin Siebers

--
(+31) (0)6 - 11 06 16 27

Morpheus Kennistechnologie BV
postbus 69
3500 CD Utrecht
KVK 30 26 04 30

Andree Chea

Mar 27, 2018, 3:39:09 AM3/27/18
to ont...@googlegroups.com
Dear Quintin,

> TMCL is the official standard and OSL is deprecated because of that. However, Ontopia does not have an implementation of TMCL, so you would need to create that yourself or find a way to motivate us to do it for you :).

Right.  What sort of outline would this hypothetical implementer use as a guideline?  What packages should they look into, what are the biggest potential challenges, what "plumbing" needs to happen, etc?  Speaking hypothetically, of course. :)

Regards,
Andree

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/ontopia.

Quintin Siebers

Mar 27, 2018, 4:48:19 AM3/27/18
to Ontopia Mailing List
Hey Andree,

Right.  What sort of outline would this hypothetical implementer use as a guideline?  What packages should they look into, what are the biggest potential challenges, what "plumbing" needs to happen, etc?  Speaking hypothetically, of course. :)

Hypothetically,

- The implementer would need a very good understanding of TMCL (all sources on http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmcl/)
- The implementer would need to include the TMCL meta ontology in all topic maps it wishes to apply TMCL to (http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmcl/schema.ctm)
- The implementer would have to implement and test each TMCL rule in Java
- The implementer would have to devise a way to trigger said rules prior to committing a topic map transaction
- The implementer would have to devise a way to make the rule checking optional (globally, per topic map, per rule etc)
- The implementer would have to optimise the implementation so that massive transactions (millions of objects changed) can be checked in predictable times

Hypothetically this would take implementer quite some time to do, which is why it hasn’t been done yet ;)

With regards,

Quintin Siebers