Is Ontopia still under active development?

Chris Gordon-Smith

Dec 14, 2014, 6:31:52 PM12/14/14
to ont...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ontopia people

This looks like a great product. However, I have so far not been able to get it working reliably on my Debian 7 system, although it seemed OK on an older Linux Mint system. No doubt there is a solution, but my question at the moment is:

Is Ontopia still under active development? This forum looks rather quiet.

Thanks and Regards

    Chris Gordon-Smith

Quintin Siebers

Dec 17, 2014, 5:55:09 AM12/17/14
to Ontopia Mailing List
Dear Chris Gordon,

The development of Ontopia has slowed down a bit over the last years, but we still have active developers. Can I help you with your issues concerning running Ontopia on Debian 7, because ontopia.net (for example) also runs on Debian 7?

With regards,

Quintin Siebers

--
(+31) (0)6 - 11 06 16 27

Morpheus Kennistechnologie BV
postbus 69
3500 CD Utrecht
KVK 30 26 04 30

Chris Gordon-Smith

Dec 17, 2014, 2:30:11 PM12/17/14
to ont...@googlegroups.com
Hello Quintin

Thanks. It is good to hear that Ontopia still has active developers. That gives me some confidence in going further with using the product.

Regarding my Debian 7 installation, I think the best way will be for me to do some further checks to ensure that I have everything setup according to the documentation. If I still have problems after that I'll get back to you with the details.

I very much like the overall modelling approach taken by Ontopia. I had looked at mindmap software, but was surprised to find that the models always have a tree structure. In my view a tree is not a good way to represent knowledge; a much more general network is needed. I also like the fact that Ontopia holds concepts in a central repository so that they can be re-used. This is much better than a 'diagram centric' approach that ties the definition/description of a concept to a particular diagram.

Best Regards

   Chris Gordon-Smith