newbe installation problems

David Green

May 17, 2016, 9:00:36 AM5/17/16
to ontopia
installed tomcat9 (location C:\tomcat9) and could access tomcat control page from localhost:8080
extracted ontopia-master
installed jdk and jre
added environment variable
- CATALINA_HOME      C:\tomcat9\
- JAVA_HOME     C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_65
- JRE_HOME      C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_91
now . . . . . localhost:8080 refused to connect 'ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED'
It's driving me crazy.
Does anyone offer a remote access and diagnostic service ?

Regards
David

Quintin Siebers

May 17, 2016, 9:49:33 AM5/17/16
to Ontopia Mailing List
Dear David,

A few things that might help you:

installed jdk and jre
added environment variable
- CATALINA_HOME      C:\tomcat9\
- JAVA_HOME     C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_65
- JRE_HOME      C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_91

These shouldn’t be needed for a normal Tomcat installation, and if you got Tomcat running without installing Java, then Java was already installed on your system.

now . . . . . localhost:8080 refused to connect 'ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED'

If Tomcat has not bound to port 8080, then it probably failed to start up. You can check the Tomcat log files in C:\tomcat9\logs for hints to why this might be happening. In previous versions the main log was named catalina.out.

extracted ontopia-master

There is an Ontopia release bundle available for download that contains a preconfigured Tomcat:
https://github.com/ontopia/ontopia/releases/tag/release-5.3.0 (ontopia-5.3.0.zip, not the source ones)

Let me know if you need further assistance.

With regards,

Quintin Siebers

--
(+31) (0)6 - 11 06 16 27

Morpheus Kennistechnologie BV
postbus 69
3500 CD Utrecht
KVK 30 26 04 30

David Green

May 17, 2016, 3:46:17 PM5/17/16
to ontopia
thank you for your very helpfull and remarkable quick reply.
I'll retry from the beginning.

David Green

May 18, 2016, 5:29:46 AM5/18/16
to ontopia
I removed unnecessary environment variables
deleted in re-unpacked ontopia-5.3.0 and ontopia-master.zip

localhost:8080 still generates:

This site can’t be reached

localhost refused to connect.

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
C:\tomcat9\logs folder is empty

Could you please suggest someone who could access my PC remotely and fix this ?

Quintin Siebers

May 18, 2016, 6:06:48 AM5/18/16
to Ontopia Mailing List
Dear David,

What is it exactly that you are trying to achieve? Are you trying to start the Ontopia release bundle, or just a Tomcat 9 instance?

If it is Ontopia that you’d like to start, then I suggest executing the startup.bat or startup.sh files in {ontopia}/apache-tomcat/bin. This will start the preconfigured Tomcat that you can then reach on localhost:8080. Further details can be found at https://github.com/ontopia/ontopia/wiki/InstallGuide

If it is Tomcat 9 you want to start, there is a similar script (startup.sh / startup.bat) in the tomcat bin directory that you need to execute.

For both cases: if Tomcat fails to start, try executing the script from a command line to get more details on what is going wrong.

With regards,

Quintin Siebers

--
(+31) (0)6 - 11 06 16 27

Morpheus Kennistechnologie BV
postbus 69
3500 CD Utrecht
KVK 30 26 04 30

David Green

May 18, 2016, 6:37:47 AM5/18/16
to ont...@googlegroups.com
I have a huge corpus of research papers in pdf format.
I understand that this could be categorised as unstructured, noisy textual data.
The majority of the papers come from 200 journal with a strong medical / cell biology focus but there are also papers on maths, linguistics etc.
Really, any subject which may shed light on my topic of interest which is the initiating process(es) leading to cerebrovascular accident (CVA, stroke).
I have been using dtSearch and Archivarius 3000 for basic boolean text searches.
I now require software that will enable analysis of the text.
I have been looking at Solr with Drupal and Drupal NLP modules and then stumbled upon the Drupals topic map module which introduced me to the term 'topic map' which gave me a eureka moment.
The size of my digital library precludes a web-based too such as Topincs and Ontopia and its modules seems perfect for my needs.
But first, I need to install it, but my major problem is that I know that I require software tools, but my only experience of software has involved simple downloads and simple installs.