Anyone Have Experience with Fluree as a Graph DB?

Michael DeBellis

Feb 22, 2024, 11:54:15 AMFeb 22
to ontolog-forum
I have a client who is interested in using Fluree: https://flur.ee/  as a graph database for OWL ontologies and knowledge graphs. Anyone have experience or opinions (good or bad) about this product?

Michael

Rashif Rahman

Jun 26, 2024, 12:22:48 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to ontolog-forum
Hey Michael

Happened to chance upon your message while searching for something related to Flur.ee. Wanted to say that I have had the chance to evaluate it very recently for a project. I'd like to keep my recommendation brief without boring you with details you might not need: Flur.ee may be the best fit yet for linked data application development, or what I call LDApps, [1] due to native support for JSON(-LD), i.e. no more object-triple marshalling/mapping.

However, Flur.ee currently markets itself as a JSON-LD database, not as a triplestore (TS). Therefore, certain features that you might expect from a TS, like a file loader, SPARQL endpoint or an admin panel, [2] are not available at this time (but you can send RDF data and SPARQL queries through their API, aside from their own FlureeQL). It has a unique backend-less authorization mechanism, so theoretically, you don't need an "RDF back-end". Its blockchain-based storage also provides a neat record-keeping feature -- history "time travel".

TL;DR: If all you need is a CRUD app backed by a knowledge graph, Flur.ee provides the least development resistance for application developers, but may not be the best graph database or triplestore for data professionals (yet).

[1] "el-dapps"; one can also call them KGApps but that's a mouthful unless you say "kay-gapps"
[2] there is no GUI management from v3 onwards as they focus on their cloud/hosted offering

Michael DeBellis

Jun 26, 2024, 12:28:53 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
Rashif, thanks. That was useful detail. I more or less came to the same conclusion a while ago. I think there is a niche where what they are doing could be very useful but they really don't compete in the same space as true graph databases like OntoText, AllegroGraph, etc.

Michael

--
All contributions to this forum are covered by an open-source license.

Jack Park

Jun 26, 2024, 12:51:38 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
A bit off topic, but FWIW, flur.ee is at github

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ontolog-forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ontolog-forum/CALGFikdc1-19rkMRp8UJFbAz5_qaPatDPv7dxXCeLazDL4yaqw%40mail.gmail.com.

Prasad Yalamanchi

Jun 26, 2024, 11:17:39 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
Greetings!

Fluree DB is (one of) the backend triple stores to our knowledge extraction tool: TextDistil.
TextDistil uses domain ontology to extract facts from a document corpus and outputs JSON-LD to load into FLuree DB.  For querying we use FLuree QL.

As a storage and query of triples (JSON-LD) which is what we used it for, Fluree DB is good. We intend to use it for its more interesting features in the future.

Thanks
Prasad
Lead Semantics

--
All contributions to this forum are covered by an open-source license.