JOWO Workshop: Ontology Showcase

Michael Gruninger

Apr 17, 2021, 1:48:45 PM4/17/21
to ontolog-forum

Ontology Showcase

(part of JOWO 2021)

Website: http://stl.mie.utoronto.ca/showcase/home.html

As the Applied Ontology community, we have reached the point where an
impressive variety
of ontologies have been developed across a wide range of domains.
For the most part, however, there has been a lack of coordination
among these efforts
and even a lack of awareness about the work that is being done by
groups within the community.
How can we best support ontology repositories so that curated
ontologies are findable and accessible?
What are the barriers to sharability and reusability that still exist?

The Ontology Showcase will be the venue that facilitates the sharing
and reuse of ontologies,
with the goal of achieving the vision of seamless semantic
interoperability of curated ontologies within
their applications.

Submissions should follow the scope and evaluation criteria for the
main track,
giving an overview of the ontology and its application.
In particular, submissions should address the following questions:

What is the domain of the ontology?
How is the ontology being used? e.g. search, question answering,
semantic integration
What datasets are used in these applications?
What other ontologies are reused?
Are there other ontologies within the same domain?
What are the competency questions used for the design and evaluation
of the ontology?

The axiomatization of the ontology should be available on the Web.

Submission length: 6 pages (maximum).

Important Dates:

3 July 2021 - Submission deadline.
9 August 2021 - Notification of acceptance.
23 August 2021 - Camera-ready version.
September 2021 - JOWO workshop (exact date TBD)

Workshop policy

The Ontology Showcase is planned as a hybrid event as part of JOWO
2021. Hence, there will be a physical meeting in Bolzano which
hopefully most will be able to join. However, given the uncertainty
about travel in September we will make arrangements for remote
participation. If the physical meeting cannot be held due to social
restrictions, the workshop will go fully virtual.

Workshop Chair: Michael Gruninger

Contact: grun...@mie.utoronto.ca

bruces...@cox.net

Apr 17, 2021, 3:37:08 PM4/17/21
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
Just to quickly say what might be obvious -- but this call for papers looks like a call for online database development.

Maybe I'm missing something -- but this looks like a database application I could build very quickly -- just a few days. I'd need some help with definitions -- and maybe this is where the project is going: get a bunch of papers on these questions and THEN build a database that combines all the suggestions.

Sure, write a paper about all these issues -- or -- just fill in a form that identifies you and your project, and add your perspective and project to a collaborative database that puts all this stuff in one place.

> What is the domain of the ontology?
> How is the ontology being used? e.g. search, question answering, semantic integration
> What datasets are used in these applications?
> What other ontologies are reused?
> Are there other ontologies within the same domain?
> What are the competency questions used for the design and evaluation of the ontology?

I can feel this coming. The conference on Foundational Ontologies mentioned a day or two ago is in the same ballpark. The power level is going up.

Bruce Schuman
Santa Barbara CA USA
bruces...@cox.net / 805-705-9174
www.origin.org / www.integralontology.net
--
All contributions to this forum are covered by an open-source license.

Igor Toujilov

Apr 18, 2021, 12:02:16 PM4/18/21
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
When I follow the link, a web page appears, which has another link https://iaoa.org/jowo/2021/registration/, which I think is dead.