Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Initiative

Jon Awbrey

Jul 10, 2022, 10:15:24 AM7/10/22
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Initiative 1
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/07/10/inquiry-into-inquiry-on-initiative-1/

Re: R.J. Lipton and K.W. Regan
https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/about-me/
::: Sorting and Proving
https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/2022/06/13/sorting-and-proving/

<QUOTE Lipton and Regan:>
GPT-3 works by playing a game of “guess the next word” in a phrase.
This is akin to “guess the next move” in chess and other games,
and we will have more to say about it.
</QUOTE>

As a person who struggles on a daily basis to rise to the level of sentience
I've learned it has more to do with beginning than ending this sentence.

Resources —

• Survey of Inquiry Driven Systems
( https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/27/survey-of-inquiry-driven-systems-3/ )

• Survey of Theme One Program
( https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/06/12/survey-of-theme-one-program-4/ )

Regards,

Jon

cc: Conceptual Graphs • Cybernetics • Laws of Form • Ontolog Forum
cc: FB | Inquiry Driven Systems • Structural Modeling • Systems Science

Jon Awbrey

Jul 20, 2022, 9:06:10 AM7/20/22
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Initiative 2
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/07/20/inquiry-into-inquiry-on-initiative-2/

Re: Scott Aaronson ( https://scottaaronson.blog/ )
(1) ( https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=6524 )
(2) ( https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=6534 )
(3) ( https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=6541 )

<QUOTE SA:>
Personally, I'd give neither of them [Bohr or Einstein] perfect marks,
in part because they not only both missed Bell's Theorem, but failed
even to ask the requisite question (namely: what empirically verifiable
tasks can Alice and Bob use entanglement to do, that they couldn't have
done without entanglement?). But I'd give both of them very high marks
for, y'know, still being Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr.
</QUOTE>

To Ask The Requisite Question
=============================

This brings me to the question I was going to ask on the AI post,
but was afraid to ask.

Does GPT-3 ever ask an original question on its own?

Simply asking for clarification of an interlocutor's prompt is not
insignificant but I'm really interested in something more spontaneous
and “self‑starting” than that. Does it ever wake up one morning, as
it were, and find itself in a “state of question”, a state of doubt or
uncertainty so compelling as to bring it to ask on its own initiative
what we might recognize as a novel question?

Resources
=========

Survey of Inquiry Driven Systems
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/27/survey-of-inquiry-driven-systems-3/

Survey of Theme One Program
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2022/06/12/survey-of-theme-one-program-4/

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Mar 1, 2023, 1:36:25 PM3/1/23
to Ontolog Forum
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Initiative 3
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2023/03/01/inquiry-into-inquiry-on-initiative-3/

Re: Scott Aaronson on Large Language Models ( https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=7042 )

All,

The more fundamental problem I see here is the failure to grasp the nature of
the task at hand, and this I attribute not to a program but to its developers.

Journalism, Research, and Scholarship are not matters of generating probable
logical supports for statements. That is the task requirement the developers
of LLM-Bots are failing to grasp.

There is nothing new about that failure. There is a long history of attempts
to account for intelligence and indeed the workings of scientific inquiry based
on the principles of associationism, behaviorism, connectionism, and theories of
that order. But the relationship of empirical evidence, logical inference, and
scientific information is more complex and intricate than is dreamt of in those
reductive philosophies.

Regards,

Jon