Re: Updated Theme One Engagement Plan

Jon Awbrey

Jun 26, 2018, 8:30:18 AM6/26/18
to joseph simpson, structura...@googlegroups.com, Sys Sci, mjs...@gmail.com, Ontolog Forum @ GG
Joe & All,

Eighteen years living in the same place and we blissfully forgot
what it takes to pack up a house and find a new one. Thankfully
most of the renovation work is done, except for carpet, but it's
looking like it will be August before I get my head above water.
Just bits and snatches of time til then ...

Main functional test for me is whether we can get a fully running version
that works on the sorts of examples I stored at Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19K2pwRKXlrs_sGNyv1g4RAwx5IyDGp_j

There's a sample of the commenting I started — just barely started —
at this place:

http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Theme_One_Program
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Theme_One_Program_%E2%80%A2_Commentary_2005

There's a lot that could be done with the interface,
especially making it more visual, displaying the
graphical data structures, etc.

There's hand-generated samples of “animated proofs” in the
cactus graph variant of the CSP-GSB calculus at this place:

https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/ANIMATION#Proof_Animations

There's discussion of these examples here:

https://oeis.org/wiki/Logical_Graphs
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Logical_graph

And it would be wonderful to automate those eventually.

All for now ...

Regards,

Jon

--

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey

joseph simpson

Jun 26, 2018, 1:04:32 PM6/26/18
to Jon Awbrey, structura...@googlegroups.com, Sys Sci, mjs...@gmail.com, Ontolog Forum @ GG
Jon:

No rush.  Take time and have as much fun as you can while you are moving.

Just a few quick notes on the Theme One exploration:

  -- Create Pascal code units -- to support the unit testing.
  -- Create new comments and code format in each new unit.
  -- Create integrated tests to test an integrated set of code units.
  -- Create functional tests to test the overall integrated system.
  -- Create behavioral tests to test the integrated system behavior.

If you are using the Free Pascal Compiler (FPC) and your code has input/output to the file system,
then you need to set the -Txxx command line parameter.  In my case, when I use a Linux box the
command line parameter is: -Tlinux.  Other operating systems have their own specific parameters,
see the documentation.

If the -Txxx command line parameter is missing then the program will compile but fail when reading
from the file system.

Many other little issues with Pascal that I am addressing as they pop up.
--
Joe Simpson

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.

Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.

All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

George Bernard Shaw

joseph simpson

Jun 26, 2018, 8:12:51 PM6/26/18
to Jon Awbrey, structura...@googlegroups.com, Sys Sci, mjs...@gmail.com, Ontolog Forum @ GG
Jon:

Now that I have the basic Theme One Program working, without crashing all the time, I am starting to dig deeper into the provided material.

As given in the "Theme One Guide":

"As a task for inductive reasoning, Theme 1 addresses the problem of learning arbitrary formal languages specified at the two levels of words and sentences.

As a task for deductive reasoning, Theme 1 addresses the problem of modeling arbitrary formulas in the propositional calculus, or of finding normal forms."

In the domain of systems engineering, these two tasks appear to have direct application to the production and refinement of a formal requirements language.

As we go forward, I would like to select an area where either the system engineering or the system science community would find value in the work.

The creation of a formal requirements language might be of interest to the system engineering community.

In any case, I think it is a good idea to have one or two practical, well known application areas that can be used to demonstrate the application of your work.

Has anything like this been done before?

Take care and have fun,

Joe

Jon Awbrey

Jun 28, 2018, 10:16:27 AM6/28/18
to joseph simpson, Ontolog Forum @ GG, structura...@googlegroups.com, Sys Sci, mjs...@gmail.com
JS: Has anything like this been done before?

Well yes, and no ...

Let me step back and talk about the research intention driving this work.

In a very real sense everything I've been doing along this line of inquiry
for the last fifty years falls within the larger traditions of AI, A-Life,
cybernetics, and systems theory that first got my attention in the late 60s.
Arbib, Ashby, McCulloch, Minsky and Papert, Wiener stand out among the early
influences that whetted my appetite for computational and systems-theoretic
approaches to inquiry. It's fair to say the questions they asked, the hints
and tools they provided are always on my mind even today.

A few references, among many others ...
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Prospects_for_Inquiry_Driven_Systems#Bibliography

• Arbib, M.A.,
Brains, Machines, and Mathematics.
1st edition 1964. 2nd edition, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, 1987.

• Ashby, W.R.,
An Introduction to Cybernetics,
Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 1956. Methuen and Company, London, UK, 1964.

• McCulloch, W.S.,
Embodiments of Mind,
MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1965. 3rd printing 1975.

• Minsky, M., and Papert, S.,
Perceptrons : An Introduction to Computational Geometry,
1st edition 1969, 2nd printing 1972. Expanded edition, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1988.

• Wiener, N.,
Cybernetics : or, Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine,
1st edition 1948. 2nd edition, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1961.

Time scarce and scattered, will get to the rest later ...

Jon

On 6/26/2018 8:12 PM, joseph simpson wrote:
> Jon:
>
> Now that I have the basic Theme One Program working, without crashing all
> the time, I am starting to dig deeper into the provided material.
>
> As given in the "Theme One Guide":
>
> "As a task for inductive reasoning, Theme 1 addresses the problem of
> learning arbitrary formal languages specified at the two levels of words
> and sentences.
>
> As a task for deductive reasoning, Theme 1 addresses the problem of
> modeling arbitrary formulas in the propositional calculus, or of finding
> normal forms."
>
> In the domain of systems engineering, these two tasks appear to have direct
> application to the production and refinement of a formal requirements
> language.
>
> As we go forward, I would like to select an area where either the system
> engineering or the system science community would find value in the work.
>
> The creation of a formal requirements language might be of interest to the
> system engineering community.
>
> In any case, I think it is a good idea to have one or two practical, well
> known application areas that can be used to demonstrate the application of
> your work.
>
> Has anything like this been done before?
>
> Take care and have fun,
>
> Joe

joseph simpson

Jun 28, 2018, 11:27:26 AM6/28/18
to Jon Awbrey, Ontolog Forum @ GG, structura...@googlegroups.com, Sys Sci, mjs...@gmail.com
Jon:

Thanks for the additional information.

There are a number of interesting connections between and among your work and the work of:
  -- Warfield
  -- Combs
  -- Sowa

The exploration of these connections will have to wait until the software is updated and tested.

Take care and have fun,

Joe