Re: Inquiry Into Inquiry

Jon Awbrey

Sep 8, 2021, 11:15:25 AM9/8/21
to Peirce List, Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Balance
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/09/08/inquiry-into-inquiry-on-balance/

Re: Inquiry Into Inquiry
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2005/12/09/inquiry-into-inquiry/

All,

Everyone knows what it means to have obstacles to overcome or events to understand and
how we go hunting for whatever action, model, or theory will do the trick. Other times
we have a scheme or theory all ready in mind — like a key we try on every door we find.

It is not unusual to shift from one stance to the other, perhaps many times a day,
and even the most balanced among us may pass through phases of life exploring the
extremes in one direction or the other. Luckily if all too painfully, an inward
sense of disharmony or an outward clash with reality will nudge us back to center,
if we but pay the due attention.

Regards,

Jon

On 12/21/2012 2:28 PM, Jon Awbrey wrote:
> Peircers,
>
> Here are the prettified versions
> of some recent posts to the List:
>
> Paradigms, Playgrounds, Programmes, Programs
> http://wp.me/p24Ixw-ml
>
> Demonstrative And Otherwise
> http://wp.me/p24Ixw-ms
>
> Constants, Inconstants, and Higher Order Propositions
> http://wp.me/p24Ixw-mM
>
> Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry : 1
> http://wp.me/p24Ixw-n0
>
> Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry : 2
> http://wp.me/p24Ixw-na
>
> Salubrious Solstice!
>
> Jon

Jon Awbrey

Sep 9, 2021, 11:33:06 AM9/9/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • Discussion 1
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/09/09/inquiry-into-inquiry-discussion-1/

Re: Inquiry Into Inquiry • On Balance
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/09/08/inquiry-into-inquiry-on-balance/
Re: Laws of Form
https://groups.io/g/lawsofform/topic/inquiry_into_inquiry/85461438
::: Peter Jones ( https://groups.io/g/lawsofform/message/862 )

<QUOTE PJ:>
I realise, in brief, the extent of your project —

• Inquiry Driven Systems
( https://oeis.org/wiki/Inquiry_Driven_Systems_%E2%80%A2_Overview )
• Problem
( https://oeis.org/wiki/Inquiry_Driven_Systems_%E2%80%A2_Part_1#Problem )

but reading your post makes me wonder about the core aspects of my own —
nursing / health care — focus that also happens to have generic utility.
</QUOTE>

Dear Peter,

I have a few bits of work on my plate at the moment —
I will try to make a fuller reply in a day or two.

My wife, Susan Awbrey, and I have various degrees of acquaintance with nursing research, a smattering for me and much
more for her. Sue's doctorate is in Educational Systems Design. She served as an assistant professor and director of
learning resources at the Michigan State University College of Nursing through most of the 1980s, collaborating with
nurse researchers on issues of instructional design and information technology. During 1989–91 we both had positions at
the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) School of Nursing in Galveston. I had a faculty associate position
consulting on research statistics, computing, and database management, meanwhile doing research on the hot new areas of
AI applications to medical knowledge, diagnosis as abductive reasoning, physiological cybernetics, the novice/expert
shift, and bridging the gap between qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.

Regards,

Jon

Resources
=========

• Survey of Inquiry Driven Systems
( https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/27/survey-of-inquiry-driven-systems-3/ )

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
oeiswiki: https://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache

Jon Awbrey

Sep 11, 2021, 11:15:33 AM9/11/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • Discussion 2
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/09/11/inquiry-into-inquiry-discussion-2/

Re: Peirce List
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-08/thrd14.html#00407
::: Phyllis Chiasson
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-08/msg00427.html
Re: Peirce List
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-09/thrd4.html#00106
::: Edwina Taborsky
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-09/msg00106.html

<QUOTE PC:>
Phenomenology is (with math) the underpinning of both scientific inquiry
and everyday reasoning. Improve one's capability for observation and
classification and you improve his/her ability to think and reason.
“Neglected Argument” has interesting things to say about the
categories and this process as does “What Pragmatism Is”.
</QUOTE>

Cf: A Neglected Argument for the Reality of God
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Neglected_Argument_for_the_Reality_of_God

Cf: What Pragmatism Is
https://arisbe.sitehost.iu.edu/menu/library/bycsp/whatis/whatpragis.htm

Although the Neglected Argument was one of the first Peirce essays my
undergraduate philosophy advisor (who happened to be a Unitarian minister)
gave me for contemplation — I remember coming to an unconventional, indirect
argument, ontological proof sort of epiphany near the end — I can't say I've
paid all that much attention to Peirce's theodicy since those days, but I can't
recall reading anything he wrote to distinguish his perspective from what is
ordinarily called “deism”. Does he ever declare for the (male personified)
anthropomorphic God, so capitalized, of Abraham, Luther, Calvin, or any other,
literal, non‑metaphorical theism of that kind?

Resources
=========

• Survey of Inquiry Driven Systems
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/27/survey-of-inquiry-driven-systems-3/

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Sep 15, 2021, 9:24:22 AM9/15/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Into Inquiry • Discussion 3
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/09/15/inquiry-into-inquiry-discussion-3/
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-09/thrd4.html#00106
Re: Inquiry Into Inquiry • Discussion 2
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/09/11/inquiry-into-inquiry-discussion-2/

The fact most neglected about the Neglected Argument is
its character as an abductive argument, a “Holy Guess”
if you will to believe, and as such the most fallible
and mutable of hypotheses a happily fallible creature
can create. Its object is an hypostatic abstraction
from human experience and the hypostasis has reality
in virtue of whatever properties would be consistently
assigned to it. Does the object of the guess take an
active part in human evolution or does human evolution
play its part in making and reshaping its best guess?

| O time, thou must untangle this, not I.
| It is too hard a knot for me t'untie.
|
| — Twelfth Night • Act 2 Scene 3

https://oeis.org/wiki/Inquiry_Driven_Systems_%E2%80%A2_Part_11#A_Projective_Point_of_View

Submitted pursuant to a case study on the
role of phenomenology in science and the
role of abductive inference in inquiry.

Regards,

Jon