BFO vs IDEAS/DoDAF

michael tiger

Jun 11, 2024, 11:24:37 PMJun 11
to ontolog-forum
Recently I've been exploring better ways to integrate data from multiple sources to address data quality as well as cost issues in company. I discovered Boro Solution and read the works of Chris Partridge, Matthew West. The 4-D ontology gave me a new perspective on the world and inspired me a lot. Further, I learned about IDEAS, DoDFA, IES4, etc.

When I wanted to model data based on 4-dimensional ontology and construct a toolchain, I discovered BFO, a top-level ontology that has gained widespread use in the biomedical community. I have not yet delved into BFO, but it seems to be very different from Boro's 4-dimensional ontology. Recently I found a news about "January 2024 BFO and CCO have been adopted as baseline standards for all formal ontology development in the DOD and Intelligence Community".

My question is, does BFO&CCO replace IDEAS&DoDAF as a new standard in DoD? Or is BFO compatible with IDEAS? Or maybe I misunderstood actually they are used in different areas?

Regards,
Michael

Burkett, William [USA]

Jun 14, 2024, 11:06:58 AMJun 14
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com

Michael –

I can’t speak to the relationship of BFO, IDEAS, and CCO, but DODAF is a different beast entirely and I don’t see any of the ontology work replacing that.  The ontology work would “plug into” DoDAF as a (kind of) DIV-1 model/view.

Bill

Jun 14, 2024, 11:06:58 AMJun 14
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

It is good to hear you are discovering BORO Solutions.

I'm sure Barry will answer your exact question (I'll just say that I'm not planning to move towards BFO just yet :) )
WRT: I've been exploring better ways to integrate data from multiple sources to address data quality as well as cost issues in company.

Let me include a quote from a paper ...
"BORO includes a foundational (or upper) ontology and a closely intertwined methodology for information systems (IS) re-engineering (Partridge, 1996), hence the term BORO refers to both the ontology and the methodology."
de Cesare, S. and Partridge, C. 2016. BORO as a Foundation to Enterprise Ontology. Journal of Information Systems. 30 (2), pp. 83-112. https://doi.org/10.2308/isys-51428

The "closely intertwined methodology for information systems (IS) re-engineering", called BCLEARer, is, I would claim, a "better way[s] to integrate data from multiple sources to address data quality as well as cost issues in company". That is exactly what it was originally designed to do - and has been doing since.
So, it seems to me you are not comparing like with like.

Best
Chris