Re: Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry

Jon Awbrey

Sep 1, 2020, 12:02:19 AM9/1/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Survey of Theme One Program ??? 3
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/08/28/survey-of-theme-one-program-3/

All,

Here's an updated Survey of blog and wiki posts relating to the
Theme One Program I worked on all through the 1980s -- which I've
been discussing in some of these groups over the last several years.
A large number of links I posted in previous discussions got broken
when my old worksite, the InterSciWiki, went offline so I've been
repairing those as I find them.

The aim was to develop fundamental algorithms and data structures
for integrating empirical learning with logical reasoning. I had
earlier developed separate programs for basic components of those
tasks, namely, 2-level formal language learning and propositional
constraint satisfaction, the latter using an extension of Peirce's
logical graphs as a syntax for propositional logic. Thus arose
the question of how well it might be possible to get "empiricist"
and ???rationalist??? modi operandi to cooperate. The ultimate vision
was the design of an Automated Research Tool able to double as a
medium for Inquiry Driven Education.

Wiki Hub
========

* Theme One Program : Overview
https://oeis.org/wiki/Theme_One_Program_%E2%80%A2_Overview

Documentation in Progress
=========================

* Theme One Program : Pascal Source Code
https://www.academia.edu/5210987/Theme_One_Program_Pascal_Source_Code

* Theme One Program : User Guide
https://www.academia.edu/5211369/Theme_One_Program_User_Guide

* Theme One Program : Exposition
https://oeis.org/wiki/Theme_One_Program_%E2%80%A2_Exposition

Applications
============

* Applications of a Propositional Calculator : Constraint Satisfaction Problems
https://www.academia.edu/4727842/Applications_of_a_Propositional_Calculator_Constraint_Satisfaction_Problems

* Exploratory Qualitative Analysis of Sequential Observation Data
http://web.archive.org/web/20180828161616/http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Exploratory_Qualitative_Analysis_of_Sequential_Observation_Data

Blog Dialogs
============

* Theme One Program : A Program Of Inquiry
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/20/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-1/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/21/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-2/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/12/31/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-3/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2013/02/14/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-4/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/02/27/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-5/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/02/28/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-6/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/03/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-7/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/10/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-8/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/14/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-9/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/18/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-10/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/03/28/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-11/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/04/03/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-12/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/04/16/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-13/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/04/25/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-14/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/07/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-15/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/28/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-16/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/12/07/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-17/

References
==========

* Awbrey, S.M., and Awbrey, J.L. (May 1991),
"An Architecture for Inquiry : Building Computer Platforms for Discovery",
Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Technology and Education,
Toronto, Canada, pp. 874-875.
https://www.academia.edu/1270327/An_Architecture_for_Inquiry_Building_Computer_Platforms_for_Discovery

* Awbrey, J.L., and Awbrey, S.M. (August 1990),
"Exploring Research Data Interactively : Theme One : A Program of Inquiry",
Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Conference on Applications of Artificial Intelligence and
CD-ROM in Education and Training, Society for Applied Learning Technology, Washington, DC, 9-15.
https://www.academia.edu/1272839/Exploring_Research_Data_Interactively._Theme_One_A_Program_of_Inquiry

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Sep 1, 2020, 5:12:17 PM9/1/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry 18
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/09/01/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-18/

Re: Michael Harris
https://mathematicswithoutapologies.wordpress.com/about-the-author/
::: The Inevitable Questions About Automated Theorem Proving
https://mathematicswithoutapologies.wordpress.com/2020/09/01/the-inevitable-questions-about-automated-theorem-proving/

Fifty-plus years of roundhouse discussions about AI + ATP leave me with
nothing new to say about it all, so maybe I'll revisit my earliest thoughts
on the subject. I've always liked Ashby's pre-AI notion of IA = Intelligence
Amplification and I often used the catchword Intelliscope to sum up my sense
of the project worth pursuing. We invented the telescope on analogy with the
human eye by studying the anatomy and function of our naturally evolved organ
of vision and gradually at first, astronomically in time extending its power to
augment and correct our natural faculty and frailty. I think everyone gets the
drift of that. It doesn't mean we have to become cyborgs in any dystopian way --
if we do it will be reckoned to some other factor in our erroneous essence or
the accidents of history.

Regards,

Jon

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
oeiswiki: https://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache

Jon Awbrey

Oct 7, 2020, 4:12:15 PM10/7/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry 19
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/10/07/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-19/

Re: Richard J. Lipton • Knowledge Is Good
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2020/10/06/knowledge-is-good/

It's the usual thing to say scientific inquiry involves a combination
of deductive and inductive reasoning. A slightly different, 3-phase
model, going back to Aristotle and revived by Charles S. Peirce,
analyzes the process producing knowledge into abductive, deductive,
and inductive stages. Abductive inference is used to generate a
hypothesis, deduction is used to derive its logical consequences,
and inductive reasoning is how we test the hypothesis against
experimental observations.

Here's a few thoughts toward the design of software platforms for
integrating these three components of inquiry. (Also research and
teaching.)

* An Architecture for Inquiry • Building Computer Platforms for Discovery
https://www.academia.edu/1270327/An_Architecture_for_Inquiry_Building_Computer_Platforms_for_Discovery

Resource
========

* Survey of Theme One Program
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/08/28/survey-of-theme-one-program-3/

Regards,

Jon

Alex Shkotin

Oct 8, 2020, 3:56:44 AM10/8/20
to ontolog-forum
Jon,

It may be interesting [1]. Where we have "Recent progress in automated reasoning and super-computing gives rise to a new era of brute force. The game changer is "SAT," a disruptive, brute-reasoning technology in industry and science."
And this article refers to [2] where we have "The phrase model checking refers to algorithms for exploring the state space of a transition system to determine if it obeys a specification of its intended behavior. These algorithms can perform exhaustive verification in a highly automatic manner, and, thus, have attracted much interest in industry."

Regards,

Alex

[1] The Science of Brute Force, By Marijn J. H. Heule, Oliver Kullmann, Communications of the ACM, August 2017, Vol. 60 No. 8, Pages 70-79, 10.1145/3107239
[2] Bounded Model Checking Using Satisfiability Solving, http://fmv.jku.at/papers/ClarkeBiereRaimiZhu-FMSD-19-1-2001.pdf

ср, 2 сент. 2020 г. в 00:12, Jon Awbrey <jaw...@att.net>:
--
All contributions to this forum are covered by an open-source license.

James Davenport

Oct 8, 2020, 6:48:17 AM10/8/20
to ontolog-forum
Alex's post is interesting. But note the important word in [2]: ``bounded''. This is very different from a general proof.  In many circumstances, "bounded" is good enough, and of course a problem found by bounded model checking is a problem.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
National Teaching Fellow 2014;  DSc (honoris causa) UVT
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
Former Fulbright CyberSecurity Scholar (at New York University)
Former Vice-President and Academy Chair, British Computer Society

Oct 24, 2020, 9:48:24 AM10/24/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry 20
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/10/24/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-20/

Re: Richard J. Lipton • Vaccines Are Not Developing
https://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2020/10/22/vaccines-are-not-developing/

Back in the day when I was making The Big Bucks (time-adjusted dollars) consulting
on research statistics in bioscience-medical-nursing-public-health settings,
I noticed a certain analogy between propositional calculus research (PCR₀)
and polymerase chain reactions (PCR₁). I was going to say something about it
on a previous thread where these topics collided but then I lost track of the
links I needed, so I'll go dig them up now.

Resource
========

Jon Awbrey

Feb 7, 2021, 12:04:32 PM2/7/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
[...]

https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/Exploratory_Qualitative_Analysis_of_Sequential_Observation_Data

Blog Dialogs
============

Theme One • A Program Of Inquiry
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/09/01/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-18/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/10/07/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-19/
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/10/24/theme-one-a-program-of-inquiry-20/

References
==========

• Awbrey, S.M., and Awbrey, J.L. (May 1991),
“An Architecture for Inquiry • Building Computer Platforms for Discovery”,
Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Technology and Education,
Toronto, Canada, pp. 874–875.
https://www.academia.edu/1270327/An_Architecture_for_Inquiry_Building_Computer_Platforms_for_Discovery

• Awbrey, J.L., and Awbrey, S.M. (August 1990),
“Exploring Research Data Interactively • Theme One : A Program of Inquiry”,
Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Conference on Applications of Artificial Intelligence and
CD-ROM in Education and Training, Society for Applied Learning Technology, Washington, DC, 9–15.
https://www.academia.edu/1272839/Exploring_Research_Data_Interactively._Theme_One_A_Program_of_Inquiry

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Oct 15, 2021, 5:40:23 PM10/15/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One Program • Discussion 4
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/10/15/theme-one-program-discussion-4/

All,

I’ve been going back and looking again at the problems and questions
which nudged me into the computational sphere as a way of building
our human capacities for inquiry, learning, and reasoning.

One critical issue, you might even say bifurcation point,
came up again on the Peirce List almost a decade ago in
discussing the so-called “Symbol Grounding Problem”, a
problem I thought had long been laid to rest, at least,
among readers of Peirce, who ought to have no trouble
grasping how the problem dissolves as soon as placed
in the medium of Peirce’s sign relations.

Here is how the ghost of a problem returned to haunt us on that occasion ...

• Peirce List • Jerry Chandler • Jon Awbrey • Gary Richmond • Christophe Menant
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2012-12/thrd3.html#00063

All of which led me to recall the problems I worked on all through the ’80s ...

I spent one of my parallel lives in the 1980s earning a Master’s degree
in psychology, concentrating on the quantitative-statistical branch with
courses in systems theory, simulation, and mathematical models, plus a
healthy diet of courses and seminars in cognitive science and counseling
psychology. Instead of the usual thesis I submitted a computer program
which integrated a module for multi-level sequential learning with a module
for propositional constraint satisfaction, the latter based on an extension
of Peirce’s logical graphs.

All the hottest topics of artificial intelligence and cognitive science
from those days enjoy no end of periodic revivals, and though it brings
me a twinge of nostalgia to see those old chestnuts being fired up again,
those problems now seem to me as problems existing only for a peculiar
tradition of thought, a tradition ever occupied with chasing will o’ th’
wisps Peirce dispersed long before the chase began.

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Oct 17, 2021, 8:00:40 AM10/17/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One Program • Motivation 1
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/15/theme-one-program-motivation-1/

All,

The main idea behind the Theme One program is the efficient use
of graph-theoretic data structures for the tasks of “learning”
and “reasoning”.

I am thinking of learning in the sense of learning about an environment,
in essence, gaining information about the nature of an environment and
being able to apply the information acquired to a specific purpose.

Under the heading of reasoning I am simply lumping together all the
ordinary sorts of practical activities which would probably occur
to most people under that name.

There is a natural relation between the tasks. Learning the character
of an environment leads to the recognition of laws which govern the
environment and making full use of that recognition requires the
ability to reason logically about those laws in abstract terms.

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Oct 17, 2021, 4:00:26 PM10/17/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One Program • Motivation 2
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/17/theme-one-program-motivation-2/

All,

A side-effect of working on the Theme One program over the course
of a decade was the measure of insight it gave me into the reasons
why empiricists and rationalists have so much trouble understanding
each other, even when those two styles of thinking inhabit the very
same soul.

The way it came about was this. The code from which the program is
currently assembled initially came from two distinct programs, ones
I developed in alternate years, at first only during the summers.

In the Learner program I sought to implement a Humean empiricist style of
learning algorithm for the adaptive uptake of coded sequences of occurrences
in the environment, say, as codified in a formal language. I knew all the
theorems from formal language theory telling how limited any such strategy
must ultimately be in terms of its generative capacity, but I wanted to
explore the boundaries of that capacity in concrete computational terms.

In the Modeler program I aimed to implement a variant of Peirce’s graphical
syntax for propositional logic, making use of graph-theoretic extensions
I had developed over the previous decade.

As I mentioned, work on those two projects proceeded in a parallel series of
fits and starts through interwoven summers for a number of years, until one day
it dawned on me how the Learner, one of whose aliases was “Index”, could be put
to work helping with sundry substitution tasks the Modeler needed to carry out.

So I began integrating the functions of the Learner and the Modeler, at first
still working on the two component modules in an alternating manner, but devoting
a portion of effort to amalgamating their principal data structures, bringing them
into convergence with each other, and unifying them over a common basis.

Another round of seasons and many changes of mind and programming style,
I arrived at a unified graph-theoretic data structure, strung like a wire
through the far‑flung pearls of my programmed wit. But the pearls I polished
in alternate years maintained their shine along axes of polarization whose grains
remained skew in regard to each other. To put it more plainly, the strategies
I imagined were the smartest tricks to pull from the standpoint of optimizing
the program’s performance on the Learning task I found the next year were the
dumbest moves to pull from the standpoint of its performance on the Reasoning
task. I gradually came to appreciate that trade-off as a discovery ...

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Oct 18, 2021, 8:00:40 AM10/18/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One Program • Motivation 3
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/19/theme-one-program-motivation-3/

All,

Sometime around 1970 John B. Eulenberg came from Stanford to
direct Michigan State’s Artificial Language Lab, where I would come
to spend many interesting hours hanging out all through the 70s and 80s.
Along with its research program the lab did a lot of work on augmentative
communication technology for limited mobility users and the observations
I made there prompted the first inklings of my Learner program.

Early in that period I visited John’s course in mathematical linguistics, which
featured Laws of Form among its readings, along with the more standard fare of
Wall, Chomsky, Jackendoff, and the Unified Science volume by Charles Morris
which credited Peirce with pioneering the pragmatic theory of signs. I learned
about Zipf’s Law relating the lengths of codes to their usage frequencies and
I named the earliest avatar of my Learner program XyPh, partly after Zipf and
playing on the xylem and phloem of its tree data structures.

Jon Awbrey

Oct 18, 2021, 4:24:19 PM10/18/21
to Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One Program • Motivation 4
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/20/theme-one-program-motivation-4/

All,

From Zipf’s Law and the category of “things that vary inversely to frequency”
I got my first brush with the idea that keeping track of usage frequencies
is part and parcel of building efficient codes.

In it’s first application the environment the Learner had to learn
was the usage behavior of its user, as given by finite sequences of
characters from a finite alphabet which might as well be called “words”
and as given by finite sequences of those words which might as well be
called “phrases” or “sentences”. In other words, Job One for the Learner
was the job of constructing a “user model”.

In that frame of mind we are not seeking anything so grand
as a Universal Induction Algorithm but simply looking for
any approach that gives us a leg up, complexity wise, in
Interactive Real Time.

Jon Awbrey

Oct 18, 2021, 5:50:16 PM10/18/21
to Peirce List, Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Dear Jerry,

Thanks for the response.

I heartily agree with the sentiment that we need to pay more
attention to Mathematical And Scientific Substance (MASS) and
boggle our brains less about Purity Of Orthodox Faith (POOF).

That is what I hope to do here, on the one hand by giving a realistic
account of the real-world problems I encountered over the years and
along the way describing how the logic of science and the tools of
mathematics, especially as articulated by C.S. Peirce and tested
in computational experiment, helped to address them or at least
to clarify my understanding of their nature.

But that first post is only a preamble, so I hope you'll stay tuned ...

Regards,

Jon

On 10/17/2021 11:13 PM, Jerry LR Chandler wrote:
> Jon:

<QUOTE JC:>
This post is so muddled that I gave up on a meaningful scientific interpretation of it.

> Cheers
>
> Jerry
</QUOTE>

Jon Awbrey

Oct 19, 2021, 1:40:43 PM10/19/21
to Peirce List, Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Theme One Program • Motivation 5
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/05/30/theme-one-program-motivation-5/

All,

As I’m working from 40-year-old memories of these first inklings I thought
I might peruse the web for current information about Zipf’s Law. I see there
is now something called the Zipf–Mandelbrot (and sometimes –Pareto) Law and that
was interesting because my wife Susan Awbrey made use of Mandelbrot’s ideas about
self-similarity in her dissertation and communicated with him about it. So more to
read up on …

Just off-hand, though, I think my Learner is dealing with a different problem.
It has more to do with the savings in effort a learner gets by anticipating
future experiences based on its record of past experiences than the savings
it gets by minimizing bits of storage as far as mechanically possible.
There is still a type of compression involved but it’s more like Korzybski’s
“time-binding” than space-savings proper. (Speaking of old memories …)

The other difference I see is that Zipf’s Law applies to an established and
preferably large corpus of linguistic material, while my Learner has to start
from scratch, accumulating experience over time, making the best of whatever data
it has at the outset and every moment thereafter.

Jon Awbrey

Oct 19, 2021, 5:12:29 PM10/19/21
to Peirce List, Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Theme One Program • Motivation 6
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2018/06/02/theme-one-program-motivation-6/

All,

Comments I made in reply to a correspondent’s questions about
delimiters and tokenizing in the Learner module may be worth
sharing here.

As a part of my M.A. work in psychology I applied my Theme One program to
samples of data from my advisor’s funded research study on family dynamics.
In one phase of the study observers viewed video-taped sessions of family
members (parent and child) interacting in various modes (play or work) and
coded qualitative features of each moment’s activity over a period of time.

The following page describes the application in more detail and reflects on
its implications for the conduct of scientific inquiry in general.

• Exploratory Qualitative Analysis of Sequential Observation Data
https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/Exploratory_Qualitative_Analysis_of_Sequential_Observation_Data

In this application a “phrase” or “string” is a fixed-length sequence of
qualitative features and a “clause” or “strand” is a sequence of such
“phrases” ending with what the observer judges to be a significant
pause in activity.

In the qualitative research phases of the study one is simply attempting to
discern any significant or recurring patterns in the data one possibly can.

In this case the observers are tokenizing the observations according to
a codebook that has passed enough intercoder reliability studies to afford
them all a measure of confidence it captures meaningful aspects of whatever
reality is passing before their eyes and ears.