A formalized approach to consider agents' norms and values

Gary Berg-Cross

Jul 16, 2024, 11:12:46 AM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to ontolog-forum
Ken Forbus posted this elsewhere but it should be of interest to this community:

"How can an AI system build up and maintain an accurate mental model of people's norms, in order to avoid social friction? This is difficult because norms not only vary between groups but also evolve over time. Taylor Olson's approach is to develop a formal defeasible deontic calculus, building on his prior work on representing social and moral norms, which enables resolving norm conflicts in reasonable ways. This paper appeared at the Advances in Cognitive Systems conference in Palermo last month."

Gary Berg-Cross
Potomac, MD

Alex Shkotin

Jul 17, 2024, 5:23:24 AM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
Gary, thank you!

I have sent it to my favorite formal philosophers https://www.facebook.com/share/SaGkSXTmVF2HcJp9/

Alex

вт, 16 июл. 2024 г. в 18:12, Gary Berg-Cross <gberg...@gmail.com>:
--
All contributions to this forum are covered by an open-source license.

John F Sowa

Jul 17, 2024, 5:47:30 PM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com, CG
Alex and Gary,

The article cited in your notes is based on logical methods that go far beyond anything that is being done with LLMs and their applications to generative AI.  Such developments are important for evaluating and testing the accuracy of the output of OpenGPT and related systems.

I won't say anything in detail about the cited article.  But I noticed that some of the researchers mentioned in the article participated in the IKRIS project, which was developing metalanguage extensions to Common Logic.   For a summary of that project with multiple references for further study, see https://jfsowa.com/ikl

The documents cited there include a list of the participants and the topics they were working on.  The issues they discuss are vitally important for testing and evaluating the results generated by LLMs.  Without such evaluation, the output generated by LLMs cannot be trusted for any critical applications.

John

From: "Alex Shkotin" <alex.s...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] A formalized approach to consider agents' norms and values

Gary, thank you!

I have sent it to my favorite formal philosophers https://www.facebook.com/share/SaGkSXTmVF2HcJp9/

Alex

Polovina, Simon (BTE)

Jul 18, 2024, 3:00:35 AM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com, CG

Hi all.

John, thank you for interrelating the multiple semantics and ontology projects in https://jfsowa.com/ikl, a handy resource!

Regarding the article forwarded by Alex, Stamper’s Semiotic ladder would be pertinent:

http://assets.cs.ncl.ac.uk/seminars/101.pdf (and multiple subsequent materials on the subject: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=stampers+semiotic+ladder)

I’ve referred to it in my past work, e.g.:

I believe that the late Stamper’s work is underrepresented, but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Simon

Dr Simon Polovina

Department of Computing, Sheffield Hallam University, UK

Ontolog Forum Profile

Alex Shkotin

Jul 18, 2024, 5:19:17 AM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com, CG

Hi Simon,

Nice idea in 101.pdf "...treating the notion of a sign as a primitive concept, we can arrive at much clearer definitions of many of the troublesome concepts in the information systems domain, not least the concept of information, itself."

The question is what other primitive concepts and relations we need to axiomatise Information theory?

Keeping in mind as a benchmark for example Hilbert's axiomatisation of Euclid's Geometry.

The topic raised in the article brought by Gary:

"...to maintain an accurate mental model of other's norms, and thus to avoid social friction, such conflicts must be detected and resolved quickly. Formalizing this process has been the focus of various deontic logics and normative multi-agent systems. We aim to bridge the gap between these two fields here."

is very specific. This is why I am transferring this article to people who are working in both of these fields "various deontic logics and normative multi-agent systems." They use an axiomatic theory approach directly and thoroughly.

For me an interesting situation may be if we have for the same application area from enterprise to science an axiomatic theory and a formal ontology.

This topic may be close to your https://sysaffairs.org/move/move24-cfp MOVEment ⚖️.

Alex

чт, 18 июл. 2024 г. в 10:00, 'Polovina, Simon (BTE)' via ontolog-forum <ontolo...@googlegroups.com>:
--
All contributions to this forum are covered by an open-source license.

John F Sowa

Jul 19, 2024, 5:47:47 PM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com, CG
Simon,

I'm sorry to hear that Stamper had died.  I had regarded his work over the years as quite respectable.

Most readers are unlikely to click on titles with URLs.   But if you include an interesting quotation (one or two paragraphs), they are more likely to click.  Perhaps you could elaborate on your note below.

John

From: "Polovina, Simon (BTE)' via ontolog-forum" <ontolo...@googlegroups.com>

Hi all.

John, thank you for interrelating the multiple semantics and ontology projects in https://jfsowa.com/ikl, a handy resource!

Regarding the article forwarded by Alex, Stamper’s Semiotic ladder would be pertinent:tp://assets.cs.ncl.ac.uk/seminars/101.pdf (and multiple subsequent materials on the subject: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=stampers+semiotic+ladder)

John F Sowa

Jul 20, 2024, 9:38:41 PM (2 days ago) Jul 20
to CG, ontolog-forum
Auke,

My formal education emphasized math & logic, but I designed conceptual graphs as a logical foundation for mapping computational data to and from natural languages.  Languages have always been one of my strong interests.

All four of my grandparents migrated from Poland around 1900 to 1905, and my maternal grandmother lived with us.  So Polish was the language I heard and spoke all day long while my father was working.  When you start with two languages, learning a few more is easy.

Peirce's father taught him mathematics, Greek, and Latin from early childhood.   I developed my first version of conceptual graphs while I was taking Minsky's course on AI and a course on psycholinguistics.  When I came across Don Roberts' book on existential graphs, I saw the parallels between CGs and Peirce's EGs.  Since Peirce had also addressed the mappings between language and logic, I adopted similar methods.   For the problems and challenges, see the concluding chapter 7 of my book on conceptual structures:  https://jfsowa.com/pubs/cs7.pdf .

I met Stamper at various conferences, and I found his outlook and methods to be congenial.  He addressed the mappings between natural languages and computational representations in a way that could be mapped to and from EGs or CGs in similar ways.  I didn't map CGs to his charts directly, but his methods address the issues of choosing rigid formal patterns (graphs or charts) that can approximate flexible informal words and phrases.

And by the way, these issues are the primary reason why I am very critical of the claims about LLMs as a foundation for intelligence or cognition.   Most of the people who develop them are unaware of (or deliberately ignore) the challenging problems of mapping any kind of formalism to and from natural languages.

John

From: "Auke van Breemen" <a.br...@upcmail.nl>

John,

It is a pity indeed that he passed away, he was a scientist of the constructive type.
Since I always saw a similarity in your and Ronalds approach in how you deal with Peirce maybe it is a good time ta ask your opinion about this.

Both of you differ from the main sentiment on peirce-list, which concentrates on interpretations on what peirce might have ment. So the theoretical fight is about the right interpretation of the masters writings. Concentration on the signs in itself, seems an adequate label.

Alternatively, the both of you use Peirce in order to contribute to his goal with semiotics, which is to understand interpretation processes as sign processes. But, the perspectives differ offering different views on the processes.

In my opinion you concentrate on the semantic dimension, while Ronald had a keen eye for the pragmatic dimension, the pragmmatic and social layers of his ladder. This shows in his ontology charts in which always society is the most remote root node. Thus it becomes possible to adress the problem of differing knowledge systems in any actual situation, hence also Ronalds heavy interest in 'responsible behavior'.

I am curious after your view on the relation between your graphs and Stampers charts.

Best,

Auke van Breemen