knowledge representation and neuroscience, follow up thoughts

Paola Di Maio

Sep 5, 2021, 11:01:15 PM9/5/21
to ontolog-forum, W3C AIKR CG
Greetings folks

a while back I posted  a note about some research I am doing in KR and neuroscience, but cannot find the link to the online archive
so reposting it

In 2019 I gave a short talk at Brain Informatics 2019 in Haikou  China, and then again at virtual conference in 2020

One of the key findings I presented in these two talks , motivating my research interest in this space, is that I could not find any clear correspondence between
ANNs (artificial neural networks ) and BNN (Biological nn)  (trying to re-sue the KR constructs fromo BNN to apply to to ANN, it failed)

Today, I read this article where the authors - who  do not cite me -  #pfui

t might be necessary to rethink the old tradition of loosely comparing a neuron in the brain to a neuron in the context of machine learning.

what this article demonstrates taht
1) many individuals cited as leading scientists,are petty thieves, and the scientific establishment that supports them are fraudulent
and
2)my empirical finding presented in 2019 have been validated

:-)

your truly
PDM

Ronald Stamper

Sep 6, 2021, 9:40:20 AM9/6/21
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paula dM and Colleagues,
 [Sorry about the text size - sight bad - cataract ops suspended by Cov-19].
 You pointed out that:
1) many individuals cited as leading scientists,are petty thieves, and the scientific establishment that supports them are fraudulent

Moments before I read that, I was notified pf a paper that "might interest" me.  It did, as it was, yet again, a paper by my Plagiarist, and, as usual, entirely based on research that took me 30+ years before I taught him, which he needed for his computer science PhD assignment. He had come to Europe just after the Tiananmen Massacre and, for this and other reasons, I decided to give him all the support in my power with his career, partly, also, on the basis of my (now obviously mistaken) judgement that he was a person of integrity.

He skilfully pretended to be doing that, while actually writing his first plagiarism, with accesss to my full research archive and far better IT facilities that normal, because my work on semantics had won the support of Ken Olson and gifts from DEC. (which, I should add, were only adopted by U.Twente’s support when I paid for it from my own pocket.

Being Chinese, his plagiarims attract many high-fee-paying students to his university, leading their Vice Chancellor to have no interest in the time (and income)-wasting matter of Research Integrity.
 However, as plagiarists are prone, he does not understand fully the work he has stolen, and is responsible for the publication of what. In physics would be the equivalent of teaching E=MCcubed. Just imagine a VC of a university employing such a professor of physics, when the truth is published ! !

PLEASE:   I would appreciate suggestions about how best to make these facts public, for the benefit of integrity in science.

Sincerely,     Ronald Stamper

--
All contributions to this forum are covered by an open-source license.

Nadin, Mihai

Sep 6, 2021, 1:02:38 PM9/6/21
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com

Dear PDM:

Happy that you feel validated. The subject of ANNs (artificial neural networks ) and BNN (Biological nn) prompted more than one of my publications. Too bad that we are so busy that we read only what we wrote (correcting our own texts for publication). This intellectual autism is costing us a lot of energy. Everyone rediscovering the wheel…

Never mind. Best wishes.

Mihai Nadin

Nadin, Mihai

Sep 6, 2021, 1:09:42 PM9/6/21
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com

INTEGRITY? What a sublime notion. There is NONE left. If I sound cynical today it is because the wound inflicted by the waning integrity was scratched by two colleagues (one in reference to ANN, the second in reference to integrity itself).

You want to practice ontology engineering? Check out the misappropriation of concepts. But not via TurnitIn checker, or some other “intelligent” program that identifies plagiarism. Rather asking questions of moral standards, and realizing that  deterministic machines operate outside ethics

Mihai Nadin.

Nadin, Mihai

Sep 6, 2021, 3:30:39 PM9/6/21
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com

Paola di Maio et al:

This is in essence the problem you are describing. There are no two identical neurons; all artificial neurons are mathematical constructs inspired by the natural neuron. But: neuronal activity is biochemical, with variable thresholds; ANN is an aggregate of mathematical machines. Neuronal activity is from a perspective of energy used extremely efficient; ANN is brute force at a huge energy expense.

My inclination is NOT to force anyone to read my papers or books. Everything can be found on the www.

Mihai Nadin

Sep 6, 2021, 4:28:35 PM9/6/21
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com
In 1895, William James compared telephone switchboards to the neural networrks in the brain..  For a survey of more recent work, see "Virtual reality of the mind":  http://jfsowa.com/talks//vrmind.pdf

The conferences on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures (BICA) have many discussions on those issues. Following is an article I wrote for BICA 2019:  "Natural logic is diagrammatic reasoning about mental models": http://jfsowa.com/pubs/natlog.pdf

John

Paola Di Maio

Sep 8, 2021, 12:05:06 AM9/8/21
to ontolog-forum
Thank,s John, Mihai

Mihai, pls share something that you wrote and that can be read without necessarily having to pay, if that is relevant
PDM

Paola Di Maio

Sep 8, 2021, 3:31:14 AM9/8/21
to ontolog-forum
Ronald and Mihail

Thanks for sharing

It's sad. Some overlap may happen inadvertently, ie producing something without  being aware someone else was working on it
or by forgetting citation marks or include appropriate references or by misquoting etc. It can happen. It's a mistake

But blatant plagiarism - ie deliberately misappropriation of other 'people work is rampant and apparently institutionalized practice

Entire academic establishments and research programs are built on plagiarized work, and perfect idiots who have done not much but parroting and misappropriating other 'people's work have excellent credentials,  award winning, academic and research careers.

The worst kind of plagiarism is when words are paraphrased to the point that it becomes difficult to prove

It can be detected by skilled evaluation and if there is evidence of  a circumstance (ie, if it can be proven that the plagiarizer has come into contact
with the plagiarized work) , I had my PhD thesis plagiarized by a research consultancy in the UK who received funding from the EU
to do the exact project I received a PhD for after I sent them my work applying for a research job. They just changed the words. In fact, one EU and UK funded research programmes were based on my
phd thesis (which was not rocket science) and did not even give me a mention

I think the antidote is: publish as much as possible, keeping an eye open for misuse/misattribution, and acknowledge
that this world, if full of gross, and let go of any attachment and desire of recognition
Or obviously, sue. For that you need a lot of money and a good lawyer
I have hired two lawyers recently to sue a criminal academic institution however the judicial system is so corrupt that they
defended the crime, via convoluted mess of flaws and misrepresentation of the evidence
Criminals are protected by the criminal judicial system.

Btw-  I agree that the assertion that the scientific establishment is fraudulent may be an overgeneralization, however,
most of us who are in in for the science are not really greedy and are contented to receive some wage for our intellectual pursuits
while the majority of leading scientists are professional hawkers, trained in deceit whose clear goal is personal gain
and the consolidation of the spirals of corruption

Publish, or not publish and perish either way  I guess

PDM
Greed and ignorance are  indeed among the causes of much affliction in science and technology that slow down the evolution of humanity

Nadin, Mihai

Sep 8, 2021, 10:24:12 AM9/8/21
to ontolo...@googlegroups.com

Dear and respected colleagues,

PDM asked: pls share something…Here is ONE text…

Machine Intelligence—A chimera

https://www.nadin.ws/archives/3259

Nothing to pay…on my website. Everything I publish is there.

Best wishes.

MN

Paola Di Maio

Sep 8, 2021, 11:31:19 PM9/8/21