Sustainable Campuses: Sustainable Cafeterias

TG-comms

Oct 12, 2010, 12:31:37 PM10/12/10
to Ontario Sustainable Campuses
Hey everyone!

Thanks to all who made it out to the National Sustainable Campuses
Conference at Queen's!

It was a great weekend, full of planning, networking and sharing
brilliant ideas and strategies for making our spaces more sustainable.
Check out some of the pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=249306&l=414fe270dc&id=20262043117

In other news: we've submitted a proposal to Aviva to help fund a
Sustainable Cafeterias campaign so we can work with universities
across the country to make concrete changes and establish benchmarks
for university cafeteria operations and purchasing. Help us get this
started by taking a minute to VOTE for this project! Many Thanks!!!

VOTE NOW: Help the Sierra Youth Coalition by voting for our project -
"Sustainable Cafeterias".

Go here to view more and vote: http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf6342

If you've already voted, great! Do it again each day until October
15th!

About Sustainable Cafeterias

In 2009, Sierra Youth Coalition (SYC) became involved in a partnership
with the Fédération étudiante universitaire du Québec (FEUQ), in order
to maintain a strong relationship with students in Québec’s
universities. The student unions, represented by the FEUQ asked for
tools to improve the sustainability of university food services. In
response to their request, the campaign “Café durable” or "Sustainable
Cafeterias" was born in 2010. Student representatives are very
enthusiastic about this campaign, and not only in Québec: during the
12th Annual National Sustainable Campuses Conference, held this year
at Queen's University, students from all over the country expressed
their interest in having a similar campaign at their university.

The campaign guide rests on four pillars: management, operations, food
and community. For each topic, different actions are proposed to
increase sustainability. More than a resource, it’s a way to implement
a structured process to achieve the shared goals of thousand of
university students. The campaign guide includes proposed actions for
each topic, information about project management, a chart used to
evaluate food services, success stories and resources.

About the Sierra Youth Coalition

The Sierra Youth Coalition is an organization run by youth and for
youth, serving as the youth arm of the Sierra Club of Canada. SYC
began as a small group with a vision towards the involvement of
Canadian youth in pressing environmental issues. SYC has grown into a
nation-wide network, with hundreds of registered