Fwd: National Sustainable Campuses Update

Tracey Guptill

Feb 4, 2011, 1:47:53 PM2/4/11
to campus-comm...@googlegroups.com, ontario-sustai...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for Cross Posting - Please forward to your friends!

What's up with Sustainable Campuses as we enter boldly into 2011: Swinging in Sustainability
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Please enable images so you can see the pictures!

It's about time for some
Regional Organizing!

Stay in the loop and keep it rolling at the Sustainable Campuses Conferences

Spark more connections in this network of sustainability advocates!

One in the West and one in the East

Western Regional Conference (EN): March 3rd to 7th, SYC partners with goBEYOND and Common Energy at UBC to bring you campus sustainability in action!
Understand the context and climate we are working in
Explore case studies and best practices of campus sustainability
Transform your campus community by transforming your toolbox
- Conference highlights include: training opportunities, 28 workshops to choose from, build synergies with like minded youth, great food, FUN!, field trips, learn best practices for campus sustainability, share your successes + troubleshoot your challenges

There will be a bunch of us travelling from Ottawa by train on the 26th of February - join the convoy anywhere along the Canadian VIA line! email: nati...@syc-cjs.org for more info!

Eastern Regional Conference (FR):  At the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières from March 17th to 20th students from across Quebec and the eastern provinces will convene to learn from each and share tactics for moving forward the agenda of sustainability within the context of eco-citizenship. This will be the mostly French conference and we invite bilingual folks to expand their language horizons. This organzing extraganza will include an Apocalytic Cabaret and a keynote address about the social economy by Lynn O'Cain.

I hope to talk with you at one of the conferences! - Tracey Guptill, Sustainable Campuses Coordinator

Sustainability Tour

Progress: On Track!
While headed out West to meet with goBEYOND and our network on the coast I was able to gather footage and talk to quite a varied selection of people about sustinability and what that means to them in their lives. On the way back I checked in at all the major cities and touched based with the work of sustainability advocates on campuses. Thanks to all the wonderful folks who hosted me and provided insight into where SC should be heading!

Check out the blog posts chronicling the trip and look for the report coming by the end of the month!

Water!

* Bottled Water Free Day is March 10, 2011!

* Kick the bottle! And help others to do so as well - the next English organzing call is Thursday February 17th - view minutes from the last call for details on how to join in

* Find out More about the calls happening in French by joining the group: Un Québec sans bouteilles d'eau

* Check out the website for materials

* Water Week is in March as well... more details to follow!
Creative Commons Photo by Hans Poldoja: Social network between the participants of "Learning environments and learning networks"

Network

* CASA McGill is seeking an SYC rep! apply by Feb 1st

* Fighting the Privatization of the University: SFU and Goldcorp

* University of Waterloo Sustainability Project is ramping up for their Showcase Week: February 14th -17th

* Sierra Club has a spot for a youth rep on their Board, email Tracey for more info
At the Queen's National Sustainable Campuses Conference in October!

Events

* Some great events this week at the OPIRG Ottawa's Tools for Change!

* Oxfam's JAM solidaire this weekend in Mtl

* February 21st deadline for the BC Youth Sustainable Transporation Summit (Aug 19-21)

* IMPACT! the deadline has been extended to February 4th - apply!

* Wear your sweater on Feb. 17 for WWF and design your own.
Click on Enable Images to see Kevin Dooley's shot of a building at the University of Arizona

Campus News

* University of Guelph's Task force on Sustainability is seeking feedback for their report and recommendations

* N.B. universities shift to a "more predicatable" four-year funding model

* Waste and Water Action Planning at UBC

Copyright © 2011 Sierra Youth Coalition, All rights reserved.
Members receive our monthly newsletters.
Our mailing address is:
Sierra Youth Coalition
1 Nicholas St. suite 406
Ottawa, ON K1N 7B7

Add us to your address book

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

--
Tracey Guptill | Sustainable Campuses National Coordinator, Coordonnatrice national des Campus durables

Sierra Youth Coalition, Coalition jeunesse Sierra
1 Nicholas St, Suite #406, K1N 7B7
Ottawa, Ontario

Ph:       (613) 241-1615
Fax:     (613) 241-2292

Web:     syc-cjs.org/sustainable
Twitter:  SierraYouth
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/SierraYouthCoalition

The Sierra Youth Coalition is a membership based and directed organization. Support and engage with our work by becoming a member or by making a donation!
http://www.syc-cjs.org/become-member

La Coalition jeunesse Sierra est une organisation dirigée par et pour ses membres. Soutenez-nous ou impliquez-vous en devenant membre !
http://www.syc-cjs.org/fr/deviens-membre