Restricted Ontario airspace

Peter Dougherty

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Hi folks,

I was looking at an aviation map of the Toronto area, trying to find a
place to fly some friends on the weekend when I saw something that
caught me eye and has me rummaging for answers.

There is an area of restricted airspace (known officially as CYR-501)
extending for several miles to the northeast of the City of Owen
Sound. In my experience, in this part of the world, restricted
airspace usually denotes prisons (small circles only extending up to
about a thousand feet or so, even around the major penitentiaries in
Kingston) and military facilities. This extensive restricted area
exists all times to 12,000 feet and occasionally up to 15,000 feet.

I looked at the official Ontario road map and that entire area shows
no detail whatsoever---just a large blank white space. The only map I
can find that shows any detail of that area is a foresters' map dated
1980 (showing all the back fire roads).

The area covered seems to extend from a line running from Garytown to
Kiawana Beach north to Georgian Bay and to a mile offshore starting
from a point west of Vail's Point on around to Kiawana Beach. The
western edge runs through what looks like Garrytown up to the water.

This is most intriguing, and nobody that I've talked to can tell me
what's so special about this region of the province. I'm guessing that
it's a wildlife refuge or something, but that's pure speculation.

Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, |The Second Edition of my book
Peter Dougherty |"Tracks of the New York City Subway"
|is now available and shipping. Please visit
p...@ilap.com |http://members.home.net/pjd2/trk-book.html
Amateur Radio: VE3-THX

Andrew Sarangan

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
Peter Dougherty wrote:

> There is an area of restricted airspace (known officially as CYR-501)
> extending for several miles to the northeast of the City of Owen
> Sound. In my experience, in this part of the world, restricted
> airspace usually denotes prisons (small circles only extending up to
> about a thousand feet or so, even around the major penitentiaries in
> Kingston) and military facilities. This extensive restricted area
> exists all times to 12,000 feet and occasionally up to 15,000 feet.

Could it be a military training area ? It would make sense to have aerial
training away from noise sensitive and populated areas.

Wolfgang Weichert

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
I don't have my map with me to look up the exact area, but I do know for a
fact that there is a military area north of Meaford with a single E-W runway.
Now this I believe is not normally used as a military airport, but is actually
a tank shooting range. I know this from my siter who lives between the range
and Meaford, and I have flown in that area when I went to visit her. I had
landed at Owen Sound (Billy Bishop airport) and had taken her and my brother
in law for some rides from there.

Bill Nalepka

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
Peter:

Here's the information according to the Designated Airspace Handbook:

CYR 501 - Meaford Range, ON
User: MTFC Meaford Range Control (519)538-1371 Ext. 6578.
Controlling Agency: Toronto ACC
"No person shall operate an aircraft within the area described unless the
flight has been authorized by the User/Controlling agencies.

This probably means you run the risk of getting shot down by a practice
shell.

--
Bill Nalepka
CYKZ - Toronto/Buttonville

> There is an area of restricted airspace (known officially as CYR-501)
> extending for several miles to the northeast of the City of Owen
> Sound. In my experience, in this part of the world, restricted
> airspace usually denotes prisons (small circles only extending up to
> about a thousand feet or so, even around the major penitentiaries in
> Kingston) and military facilities. This extensive restricted area
> exists all times to 12,000 feet and occasionally up to 15,000 feet.

glen james

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
the airspace cyr-501 is on top of the military's meaford tank range. with
live firing it's a good idea to give the area some room. there is the same
restrictions over angus/borden ranges as well called cyr-502 to 7000 cont
Andrew Sarangan <sara...@unm.edu> wrote in article
<380DE4C5...@unm.edu>...

J. Neteler

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99

glen james wrote in message <01bf1b33$3649ee00$6f6f6f6f@headoffice>...

There is a similar range near Fort Dix, NJ. During the build-up prior to
the Gulf I happened to be flying south of it at night. The ricochetting
tracers from the Bradley antitank guns made for quite a display. Although,
the restricted area topped out at about 10000msl (IIRC) it would not have
been a safe passage over it.

J. Neteler

Dave Smith

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
Wolfgang Weichert wrote:

That is still an active artillery range. I went on an artillery shoot many years
ago when I was in the reserves. It was interesting to watch those very live rounds
leave the howitzer barrels as the arced across the sky to their targets. The
projectiles are quite large and we watched them disappear into the clouds. I don't
think I would want to be flying overhead.

E. Barry Bruyea

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
On 19 Oct 1999 23:58:05 -0500, Peter Dougherty <p...@ilap.com> wrote:

The Area in question is a restricted Military Training Facility,
occassionally used by NATO forces and when gas drops below $0.55 a
litre, our Tank.

Barry Bruyea
si...@sympatico.ca

Robert McDonald

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
Peter,

It's a military base, known locally as the Meaford Tank Range.

Rob

On 19 Oct 1999 23:58:05 -0500, Peter Dougherty <p...@ilap.com> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I was looking at an aviation map of the Toronto area, trying to find a
>place to fly some friends on the weekend when I saw something that
>caught me eye and has me rummaging for answers.
>

>There is an area of restricted airspace (known officially as CYR-501)
>extending for several miles to the northeast of the City of Owen

>Sound. In my experience, in this part of the world, restricted
>airspace usually denotes prisons (small circles only extending up to
>about a thousand feet or so, even around the major penitentiaries in
>Kingston) and military facilities. This extensive restricted area
>exists all times to 12,000 feet and occasionally up to 15,000 feet.
>
>I looked at the official Ontario road map and that entire area shows
>no detail whatsoever---just a large blank white space. The only map I
>can find that shows any detail of that area is a foresters' map dated
>1980 (showing all the back fire roads).
>
>The area covered seems to extend from a line running from Garytown to
>Kiawana Beach north to Georgian Bay and to a mile offshore starting
>from a point west of Vail's Point on around to Kiawana Beach. The
>western edge runs through what looks like Garrytown up to the water.
>
>This is most intriguing, and nobody that I've talked to can tell me
>what's so special about this region of the province. I'm guessing that
>it's a wildlife refuge or something, but that's pure speculation.
>
>Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

was...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2017, 12:50:34 PM3/17/17
Hello, i am a drone operator ( hobbyist *no hate please !* ) was wondering how do i get a list a restricted/protected airspace is there a place where i can find all of those listed ?
for instance i saw some guy post a 2015 video of his drone above Pickering station and i thought that does not seem right, the video i amazing but it just does not feel right. should not there be a restricted air space around power stations and critical infrastructure?

curious about this...and hope someone can help...?