French TV in English Canada a Shocking Waste of Taxpayers' Money

Cerise Lopez

Dec 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/5/95
The headline of The Toronto Sun (5 Dec, 1995) pretty well says it all:
"CBC's French TV Metro Money Pit". There are only 1000 prime time
viewers in Metro Toronto for this expensive service and in Regina
the situation is even worse with only 100 viewers.

It is unconscionable for the federal Liberals to be allowing this
situation to continue with Ontario's debt increasing at the rate of
$1 million per hour. Where are our priorities? This stupid experiment
in social engineering began under Turdeau back in the late sixties
with the francoization of both radio and TV English stations and
channels. Since then billions of dollars have been pissed away by
bureaucrats in Ottawa with nothing to show for it.

Furthermore, even the French spoken in Quebec by the majority of
the people is of very low quality. It is very badly corrupted and
frequently referred to as patois, franglais or jual. For example, the
word "jual" itself is a corruption of the French word for horse, "cheval".
We frequently hear that many French from Canada when in Europe and Fort
Lauderdale are laughed at for their unintelligible, grating lingo or
gibberish. In Northern Ontario and Western Quebec, for the most part, it
is a disgrace.

In view of all this it is unconscionable for our federal government
to continue funding any bilingualism in English Canada. It has done
nothing to allay French nationalism and separatism and has added
substantially to the enormous federal deficit which is currently
crippling our economy, thus causing more national discontent and
divisiveness.

Ronald J. Fitzpatrick

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95
Cerise Lopez (cob...@enterprise.ca) wrote:
: "CBC's French TV Metro Money Pit". There are only 1000 prime time

: viewers in Metro Toronto for this expensive service and in Regina
: the situation is even worse with only 100 viewers.

I value the ability to receive programming in French as an anglophone,
and I am sure the francophones in each province, including a substantial
number in Newfoundland, value the service as a means to preserve their
French language. Canada is a BILINGUAL nation, and the CBC, as a means to
unify this diverse country, is an excellent way to promote the use of
French language in every province.

As a student of the French language, I am fortunate to be able to access
such programming.

: Furthermore, even the French spoken in Quebec by the majority of

: the people is of very low quality. It is very badly corrupted and
: frequently referred to as patois, franglais or jual. For example, the
: word "jual" itself is a corruption of the French word for horse, "cheval".

If a Canadian francophone doesn't hit you on this, I'd be rather
surprised. One could argue that Americans/Canadians don't speak proper
English either. To say that the Quebec French is "of very low quality" is
a grave insult! It seems that you'd rather they just speak English, which
is a poor assumption to make.

Ronald J. Fitzpatrick * "Men hurrah for our native isle Newfoundland,
a53...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca * Not a stranger shall hold an inch of her strand;
* Her face turns to Britain, her back to the Gulf,
* Come near at your peril, Canadian Wolf."
* -"Anti-Confederate Song"

jc

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95
In article <4a43jt$j...@coranto.ucs.mun.ca>,

a53...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Ronald J. Fitzpatrick) wrote:
>Cerise Lopez (cob...@enterprise.ca) wrote:
>: "CBC's French TV Metro Money Pit". There are only 1000 prime time
>: viewers in Metro Toronto for this expensive service and in Regina
>: the situation is even worse with only 100 viewers.
>
>I value the ability to receive programming in French as an anglophone,
>and I am sure the francophones in each province, including a substantial
>number in Newfoundland, value the service as a means to preserve their
>French language. Canada is a BILINGUAL nation, and the CBC, as a means to
>unify this diverse country, is an excellent way to promote the use of
>French language in every province.
>
>As a student of the French language, I am fortunate to be able to access
>such programming.

Anyone is welcome to have TV in any language they wish, as long as my tax
dollar is not used to fund it! I don't value French TV, but I value the money
I earn! I don't want the French language to be "preserved" at my expense,
especially when outside of Quebec there is little or no demand for it.

Canada is only bilingual because the politicians have legislated it so.
Reality says something else. Quebec and N.B. have the only substantial French
speaking populations in the country. Ontario, for example, has only 5% of the
population that claim French as their first language. Of those, I suspect,
most can speak English. In S. Ontario, it would make more sense to have
Chinese TV stations than French!

So, before you waste any more of my tax dollars just because you may wish to
watch French T.V., go rent some French movies. Better yet, if you actually
think that there is a demand for nationwide French TV, I such that you
organize and create your own French network. After all, if there is actually
public interest in this, then you shouldn't have any problem raising the
necessary funds!

arthur wouk

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95
In article <4a4dt0$a...@milo.freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>,
Sheldon Scott <ssc...@opus.freenet.vancouver.bc.ca> wrote:

>Ronald J. Fitzpatrick (a53...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca) wrote:
>: Cerise Lopez (cob...@enterprise.ca) wrote:
>: : "CBC's French TV Metro Money Pit". There are only 1000 prime time
>: : viewers in Metro Toronto for this expensive service and in Regina
>: : the situation is even worse with only 100 viewers.
>
>: I value the ability to receive programming in French as an anglophone,
>: and I am sure the francophones in each province, including a substantial
>: number in Newfoundland, value the service as a means to preserve their
>: French language. Canada is a BILINGUAL nation, and the CBC, as a means to
>: unify this diverse country, is an excellent way to promote the use of
>: French language in every province.

for what it is worth, when i lived in edmonton (1972-1983) the french
tv channel was usually the best canadian-based channel to watch, since
it broadcast essentially the quebec program, i believe, which was of
much higher quality than any of the english language services.
Now and then, an innocent man is sent to the legislature.

jc

Dec 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/8/95
In article <4a851r$h...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>,

What difference does quality make if the vast majority are unable to
understand it, yet have to pay for it?

ve...@compusmart.ab.ca

Dec 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/8/95
In article <4a79uu$4...@news1.sympatico.ca>,
Georges Skorpios <skor...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>You are arrogant and selfish. Why should taxpayers without having been
>asked their consent be coerced into subsidizing your French lessons?
>I have nothing against your wanting to learn or communicate in French,
>but do it yourself or with your friends. Spend your own money on it.Go to
>Quebec or France. But it is simply outrageous for our government to be
>funding French TV in English Canada that hardly anyone is watching. It is
>crazy.

Right on, George. I took a look at some of the numbers for Edmonton and
Calgary - what a f*****g embarrassment. A waste of a couple of good
transmitters.............

Zeljko Zed Zidaric

Dec 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/9/95
a53...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Ronald J. Fitzpatrick) wrote:

>I value the ability to receive programming in French as an anglophone,
>and I am sure the francophones in each province, including a substantial
>number in Newfoundland, value the service as a means to preserve their
>French language. Canada is a BILINGUAL nation, and the CBC, as a means to
>unify this diverse country, is an excellent way to promote the use of
>French language in every province.

I would too. But don't you feel a little bit SELFISH?
How far do we go?
I could understand if there were 100,000 people watching the franco
programming... but only 1,000.
That is VERY uneconomical.

Maybe we should re-examne the bilingual nature of this country?
Maybe we should let Quebec go.

Zeljko Zidaric

"Sound argument will have more weight with me than popular opinion."
- Cicero, Paradoxa, I, 8.

"There are a lot of bleeding hearts out there who get distressed at the
sight of guns and helmets - well, let them bleed."-The Right Honourable
Pierre Elliott Trudeau, October 1970

John R. Shaw

Dec 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/10/95
Cerise Lopez <cob...@enterprise.ca> wrote:

>The headline of The Toronto Sun (5 Dec, 1995) pretty well says it all:

>"CBC's French TV Metro Money Pit". There are only 1000 prime time
>viewers in Metro Toronto for this expensive service and in Regina
>the situation is even worse with only 100 viewers.

Gee, almost as bad as the WTC, paid for by every cable subscriber but
has only 4,000 average viewers in the whole country. The government
serves someone I guess.

<crap about causes of the problem I don't agree with deleted>

- And you KNOW something is happening, but you don't know what it is, do you.(B.Z)-

John R. Shaw

Dec 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/10/95
zel...@icacomp.com (Zeljko "Zed" Zidaric) wrote:

>Maybe we should re-examne the bilingual nature of this country?
>Maybe we should let Quebec go.

Punish Quebec for something the federal government did/does ??

John

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95
In article <30cb19a8....@news.igs.net>,

js...@igs.net (John R. Shaw) wrote:
>Cerise Lopez <cob...@enterprise.ca> wrote:
>
>>The headline of The Toronto Sun (5 Dec, 1995) pretty well says it all:
>>"CBC's French TV Metro Money Pit". There are only 1000 prime time
>>viewers in Metro Toronto for this expensive service and in Regina
>>the situation is even worse with only 100 viewers.
>
>Gee, almost as bad as the WTC, paid for by every cable subscriber but
>has only 4,000 average viewers in the whole country. The government
>serves someone I guess.

At least we have the choice as to whether or not we want cable. If we don't
like cable we can stop sending in our money and it will be cancelled. I wish I
could say the same regarding govt!